5 Reasons Why You Should Buy Tickets for WinterFest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Founded in 2012, Off the Hook Arts set out on a mission to make learning music financially attainable for everyone that wanted to provide it for their kids. Their goal is “to provide free or affordable music education for students in our community while cultivating a love of the performing arts through public concerts featuring world-class musicians and interdisciplinary collaborations among the arts, sciences, and humanities.” 

They organize two music festivals each year, WinterFest and SummerFest. This year, WinterFest provides world-class performance events, dynamic and engaging talks, a silent auction, and much more! This year’s theme is the Healing Power of Music, as they celebrate the 250th anniversary of Beethoven’s birth. Below are five reasons to convince you why you must attend Winterfest this year.

Off the Hook Arts  

The World-Touring Brentano String Quartet

The renowned Brentano String Quartet will be playing at Winterfest in Colorado as the centerpiece. Their world tour launches at WinterFest in Boulder on Feb. 8 and to Loveland on Feb. 9, then they’ll send off to Europe. They start in Munich, the Netherlands, and Belgium. But, see them here for $25 in an intimate, interactive space. Plus, you will be present for the World Premiere of Adolphe’s commissioned work performed by the Brentano, Coiled. The group was conceived in 1992 and is the resident faculty string quartet at Yale University. This is something you do not want to miss. 

Awesome Venues

Where can you hear some of the most excellent live musicians of our time in such intimate, up-close-and-personal spaces as during this festival? These events are worth checking out sometimes because of where they’re held. A Metta Musical Journey will be at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery in their famous Dome Theatre. Furthermore, a local foodie favorite, the acclaimed Fort Collins’ Ginger and Baker, presents The Bard’s Confession. This is a compelling local storytelling session of 6 coached and impactful storytellers. Like NPR’s The Moth? Pie is Ginger and Baker’s thing, so go for the excellent food and stay for the tellings. There will also be a talk about improvisation that Bruce Adolphe is giving, the resident lecturer at the Chamber Music Society at Lincoln Center, the home of former US Rep. Betsy Markey. 

Healing and Transcendence Theme

This year’s WinterFest is dedicated to Beethoven as he knew how to convey the relationship of suffering and healing through music. Deaf for most of his composing life, Beethoven was intimately familiar with how music heals the soul and brings comfort to those in need. With so many people nowadays finding solace in mindfulness and the music associated with it, Off the Hook Arts brings you A Metta Musical Journey and will feature a short talk on relations between how your brain works and metta meditation. Jeff LaLaQuatra will perform improvisational guitar music in a stunning 360 imagery. Also, guided metta meditation by Kimball is just what the average college student needs as they plow back into school. Close your eyes, sit back, and soak in Winterfest!

The Silent Auction

Did someone say Ghost Tours and White Water Rafting trips with stays in Estes Park thrown in there? There will be a silent auction at the opening party event of WinterFest. It is the Chamber Music Mixer on Feb. 1 at the Foothills Unitarian Church (yes, again, Fort Collins, but so worth the trip). There are so many cool things that you can take home if you play your cards right. Things like tickets to pianist George Lopez, a two-night stay at the YMCA of the Rockies, an electric violin, massages, pilates classes, a variety of fancy alcohol (if you are old enough), and so much more! Plus, supporting a good cause! What’s better than that? Know that you can gift the joy of making music to the next six-year-old that has always wanted to play violin or guitar and will now have the chance too, because of you.  

It’s For a Good Cause

Did we mention that it’s for a good cause? One of the fifth annual Chamber Music Mixer highlights features the high level of playing of Off the Hook Arts Chamber Music Academy students blended with faculty coaches in a riveting and inspiring concert. You’ll see why it’s all worth it and why they keep at it, year after year. In their ninth season of Summerfest and fifth of WinterFest, the festivals are a major part of how they raise awareness of the need for universal access to music education which helps kids develop in multiple ways socially and developmentally and acquire empathy. These are the skills we need more of all the time. All money raised from these events will support Off the Hook Arts’ Academy programming for ages 6 through college. 

See you all there! For tickets and details visit their website, www.offthehookarts.org or call 970-305-2261.  

Belle Mead

CU Boulder '21

Belle Mead grew up in Manasquan, New Jersey, and for the past four years, attended at The University of Colorado Boulder. She majored in Journalism and minored in Creative Writing. Belle absolutely loves photography, fashion, and traveling. In the future, Belle aspires to write for Cosmopolitan or any lifestyle based magazine. She was also apart of the sorority, Alpha Chi Omega and the photography club at CU.