books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Productive Things to do When Procrastinating From Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Procrastination is a part of my everyday life, and it’s something I just can’t fight when trying to complete my homework or studying. There is always something I can do instead of studying or writing that essay that’s due in a few days, like writing this article! Over my many years of procrastination, I have trained myself to do something at least a little more productive with my time rather than just watch Netflix and scroll through my Instagram feed. Here are some things you can do while procrastinating that are still productive:

Clean and organize your space. There’s that pesky unorganized drawer calling your name, or make your bed and organize your cluttered desk. The best part of cleaning is that you can get an episode of Netflix in or listen to your favorite playlist or podcast while doing it!

Photo from Pinterest

Do the easier homework. Even if its due a week from now just get it done with and you will have less to procrastinate on later! I would rather do a thousand mindless readings and take notes than think about that calculus problem.

Call your parents and friends from home. We are all guilty of not contacting our parents enough. Give them a call and let them know how your week is going and ask what the pets you so dearly miss are up to. Also, take the time to call your friends at different colleges and see how they are doing.

Photo from Pinterest

Work out. Honestly, the only time I work out is when I’m procrastinating from studying. So jump in your work out clothes and take a trip to the rec! Even if you do a simple workout your body will be thanking you and it’s a perfect excuse to eat a cookie later.

Photo from Pinterest

Catch up on the current news. This world of college seems to put us in a bubble where we rarely hear the happenings of the outside world. Take a minute to catch up on current events in the news app of your iPhone or just Google current news, so you are up to date!

Photo from Pinterest

…But make sure you get that homework done at some point.

Vyla Carter

CU Boulder '22

Vyla is currently studying journalism as a first-year student in the College of Media, Communications and Information at the University of Colorado Boulder. Hoping to pursue a career in photojournalism, Vyla can almost always be found with a camera and an idea for what she is going to shoot next. Outside of the classroom, she is a member of the CU Boulder equestrian team and rides horses competitively. Vyla is also a photographer for the CU Independent and is looking forward to her first year of college as a new member of the Her Campus gang!
Sko Buffs!