5 March Concerts Near Boulder That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Looking to discover new artists this month, get your live music fix, or just find some new ways to destress and take a study break? Look no further! Here is your list of five concerts this month near Boulder that are all under $40.

Colony House (Saturday, March 7) – $18

I can tell you from experience that you WILL have fun at this concert. Colony House is an indie rock band composed of four talented guys from Tennessee who strive to connect with people through their music. After the releases of “When I Was Younger” (2014) and “Only the Lonely” (2017), the band toured for two years straight before heading home to write another kickass album. Now, after putting out “Leave What’s Lost Behind” earlier this year, Colony House is back on the road. If you’ve never heard of them, give them a listen and let their energetic, anthemic, impassioned sound mesmerize you. Then, get ready to hear them play it about ten times better live. Not to mention, the show is only $18 at the historic Bluebird Theater in Denver. Here’s a venue, a band, and a night that you do NOT want to miss out on.

The Growlers (Wednesday, March 11 AND Thursday, March 12) – $35

Though it is the most expensive show on this list, The Growlers at our own Boulder Theater could also very well be the best show on this list. Founded in 2006 in Dana Point, California, The Growlers have not ceased to keep their fans on their toes by continuously reinventing their sound. Now touring for their 2019 album, Natural Affair, their set list is bound to include a timeless mixture of songs from all of their years of genius. These guys single handedly created a highly anticipated annual LA music festival (Beach Goth) and arguably an entire genre of music, so I think it’s safe to assume that they know how to put on a good show. As a Southern California native and an avid fan of surf rock, I might be a bit biased, but I really don’t think you should miss this one.

Summer Salt (Thursday, March 12) – $18

Feeling in need of a relaxing sunset walk on the beach? Well, this concert will be the next best thing. Summer Salt’s harmonic, breezy, reassuring sound feels like a never-ending beach vacation that could transform even the Flatirons into the tropics. The band came together in 2012 during their senior year of high school and released their first EP, “Driving to Hawaii”, in 2014. Since then, they’ve incorporated elements of ‘60s pop, Bossa Nova, jazz, and more to create their own unique sound that doesn’t quite fit into any single genre. Now embarking on their second ever headlining tour, the band is debuting their 2019 album, “Favorite Holiday Vol. 1”. Even better, the Fox Theater is located right here on the hill, so it’ll be the perfect start to wherever your Thursday night takes you.

HUNNY (Wednesday, March 25) – $16

HUNNY is made up of four friends from Woodland Hills, California who went from playing garage shows at house parties to touring with bands like The Frights and The Neighborhood. In their most recent album, “Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.”, the band dug deep to stray from their formerly punk sound and create eight vulnerable, passionate songs inspired by ‘80s new wave and ‘90s pop. Lead singer and guitarist, Jason Yarger, summed up the narrative of the album with “I love you and I want to die”; clearly, it’s an album full of heartache, passion, love, and fierce energy. Overall, I can guarantee that their show will be a night of moshing, stage-diving, crowd surfing, and raw, wild, vigorous joy. Plus, the Larimer Lounge is located in RiNo, which is hands down one of the coolest neighborhoods in Denver.

COIN (Tuesday, March 31) – $30

There’s no better way to finish off a month of phenomenal concerts than with COIN at the Ogden. First of all, the Ogden is one of the oldest theaters in Denver and has SUCH a cool vibe. The group is comprised of four friends who met in college at Belmont University in 2012 and have since created an upbeat, indie pop sound that is bound to make for a fun night. On their new album, “Dreamland”, released earlier this year, the band effortlessly meshes together synthesizers with drums, guitars, bass, and mesmerizing vocals. Whether or not you’re familiar with their music before the concert, I can ensure that this will be an energetic night of dancing and fun.

If you’ve never heard of any of these artists, try something new and give them a listen, or, even better, get out of your comfort zone and just buy a ticket! I promise you won’t go wrong with any of the shows on the list. For me, sometimes loooking foward to a concert is the only thing that gets me through a crazy busy week; hopefully one (or all) of these shows will do the same for you. Happy March and happy listening! See you in the crowd!

Claire Wadman

CU Boulder '23

Claire Wadman is a freshman from Costa Mesa, California majoring in Aerospace Engineering. She loves music, the outdoors, skiing, and art. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus and she couldn't be more excited!
Sko Buffs!