Style > Decor

5 Halloween Dorm Decor DIYs That Are Spooky Cheap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Although Halloween is just days away, there’s still time to get into the spooky spirit! This article is for my ladies on a budget who are looking for easy, last-minute room decor. All of the ideas referenced in this article are inspired by the creative users of Pinterest, so for more details on how to make these items, check out the links beneath each photo.

Pumpkin Pom Pom Garland

This adorable pumpkin garland is perfect for a college dorm or an apartment, as it is relatively easy to make and can easily spice up a boring wall or desk. There are a variety of different levels that this can be made at, but if you’re looking for something less time-consuming and more affordable, I would recommend choosing either pumpkins or ghosts. It is significantly cheaper to buy just one color of yarn rather than two. A spool of yarn is typically around three dollars, so this is a great option for those on a serious budget. However, if you’re feeling a bit more ambitious and are willing to sacrifice a few more dollars, then try following the additional suggestions in the craft instructions linked above by adding things like googly eyes or pipe cleaner pumpkin stems.

Tissue Ghosts

This take on the classic childhood craft of making tissue ghosts is an excellent option for people on a serious budget with very little time. This is probably one of the cheapest and low maintenance crafts of all time, as most of the required items can already be found in most people’s dorm rooms or apartments. Like the previous craft, this decoration can also be elevated with added features. However, the only two main supplies you will need are tissues and a black marker.

Painted Pumpkins

Painting pumpkins is a great alternative to carving pumpkins. Not only is this significantly less time consuming than carving out designs, but it also a lot less messy. Furthermore, this is also a great way to express yourself and write fun messages and puns like the ones on the image above. If you don’t already have paint, acrylic paint can be purchased from any craft store for just a few dollars. Pumpkins can also be purchased from most grocery stores, as well as pumpkin patches and farms, at prices ranging from just a few dollars to around twenty dollars, depending on the size and quality. If you’re looking for the most affordable option, I would recommend purchasing a mini pumpkin, which typically cost between two and five dollars. Plus, the smaller the pumpkin, the less paint you will need to buy to cover it.

Mummy Mason Jars

These adorable mummy mason jars are absolutely perfect for Halloween parties or festivities. Not only are they cute, affordable, and easy to make, but they can also serve a variety of purposes from being an actual cup for beverages, a vase for flowers, a candle holder, or even a centerpiece for a table. These mummy mason jars are a great affordable option that will last you years. Mason jars typically retail around seven dollars, gauze usually only costs around eighty cents per roll, glue is usually only a few dollars and googly eyes are mere cents. Plus, some of these materials (or similar alternatives) can already be found in most people’s collections, so you may not even have to go out and purchase these items.

Flying Bats

These spooky flying bats are one of the cheapest and easiest halloween decorations of all. Made solely out of construction paper, these bats are extremely easy to assemble, which makes this DIY perfect for even the least crafty people. To make this decoration, simply draw a bat stencil to your desired specifications and use that to cut out several bats from black construction paper. Finally, fold the wings upward on some of the bats to give the illusion of flight and tape them to your wall. This is a great option for people who are looking to spend very little money on supplies, as a small pack of black construction paper is usually only around two dollars.

With Halloween rapidly approaching, these five easy and affordable DIY decorations are great options for last minute parties or gatherings, or even just to add a spooky ambiance to your daily life.

Madeleine Abram

CU Boulder '23

Madeleine is a sophomore majoring in media production and journalism. In her free time, you can find her getting boba tea, scouting out her local coffee shops, thrifting, exploring nature, cooking delicious vegan food, or playing with her two dogs and pet guinea pig!
Sko Buffs!