Style > Beauty

5 DIY At Home Hair Treatments So That Your Locks Shine!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

From oil, to damage, to scalp irritation and dryness. Check out these 5 hair hacks to get your locks more luxurious than ever before!

For Dry Hair – Honey, Egg and Apple Cider Vinegar Mask

If your biggest battle in this dry climate is dry hair then this mask will be a godsend! The combination of these ingredients will leave hair shiny and strong, without weighing it down at all.

Ingredients: 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Directions: Combine all ingredients into a small bowl. You can double or half the recipe, depending on your hair’s length. Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes before rinsing. This nourishing treatment works on all hair types.

For Hair That Won’t Grow – Cinnamon and Coconut Oil

To stimulate blood circulation and promote hair growth try this combination of cinnamon and coconut oil. When applied once a week you should be able to notice growth in as little as a month!

Ingredients: Equal parts cinnamon and coconut oil. Use discression.

Directions: Blend ingredients together well. Apply the mask onto your roots apply evenly, massaging the mixture into your scalp. Let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes and rinse. Aim to do this mask at least once a week.

For Irritated Scalps – Green Tea and Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

Thanks to the powerful antioxidants found inside of green tea, this rinse will leave your scalp calm and soothed like never before. Mix this with peppermint oil and the anti-inflammatory properties will leave your scalp more hydrated than ever.

Ingredients: 1 cup of green tea, 2 drops of peppermint oil, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Directions: Mix well, massage into scalp and let sit for at least five minutes before rinsing.

For Grease Prone Hair – Egg Whites and Lemon Mask

The protein enzymes found inside of egg whites help cut through grease and leave your hair looking healthy and shiny!

Ingredients: 1 egg white, juice from half a lemon.

Directions: Smooth over hair from roots to ends and leave on for 30 minutes to an hour — longer is better.

*Pro Tip: make sure you DO NOT use hot water! Use luke warm instead. Your hair WILL smell otherwise!

For Damaged Hair – Avocado, Egg and Olive Oil Mask

This mask requires the most effort, but arguably creates the best results. It is full of antioxidants which help fight off damage to your hair that naturally occurs in cities, the omega-3 fatty acids provide the ultimate strength-to-shine-balance, and it’s avocado base helps rejuvenate and moisturize your scalp. Talk about a one-stop-shop!

Ingredients: Half an avocado, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of olive oil ,and 1 tablespoon of honey.

Directions: Apply to wet hair with your fingertips, starting at the bottom and working your way up. Warren suggests wrapping your hair into a bun and covering with a shower cap. To help activate the ingredients, blow dry your shower cap-covered hair for 10 minutes. Then let it sit for another 20 minutes and wash out in the shower.

We hope these beauty hacks will leave your locks more luscious than ever before! Happy hairstyling, Buffs!

Charly Taylor

CU Boulder '21

Charly Taylor is a Junior at CU Boulder (SKOOO BUFFS!) and is in her first semester writing for Her Campus! As a Los Angeles native, she is a huge connoisseur of sushi, burritos and avocado toast. When she's not hanging out with her friends, she's probably watching FRIENDS, or listening to My Favorite Murder.
Sko Buffs!