This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As a college student and an avid reader, waiting for the book I want to come to the library, or spending the money on a personal copy I’ll likely read once, if at all, just wasn’t cutting it.

I pondered getting a Kindle, or maybe increasing my patience with the 25 people in front of me who have a book on hold, but after one too many book-tok videos talking about the best book I’ve ever heard of, I caved. 

I got the Wifi Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen 4GB in White from a second hand website because I wasn’t too sure if I’d like it and wasn’t willing to gamble $140 to buy a new one. Plus, it’s more sustainable than buying new, and at least for the Kindle, you aren’t supporting Amazon quite as directly. 

This was one of the best purchases I have ever made as an adult. 

Amazon Money GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

You will read so much more

The Kindle has changed how I read. Before, I’d pick up a book when I had a good chunk of time to myself, snuggle into the couch and read for a few hours. This was nice, but meant that reading happened in large chunks less often, and I’d forget little details or sometimes the plot altogether during particularly busy semesters. With the Kindle, I can easily pick it up for a few minutes here and there, on my walk to class, waiting for a friend on campus, or even while I’m brushing my teeth. 

And it’s not just when you’ll use it, it’s the fact that as soon as you finish a book, there’s another one right there waiting for you. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but that little break in flow to go get another book has often led me astray from reading. 

They can be more environmentally friendly

This depends on how often you read, and there are various studies ranging from needing to read 22-100 books before offsetting the carbon footprint from an e-reader. No matter where in that range it really falls, I plan on reading well above that number before getting rid of my Kindle. Plus, depending on how you were buying books before (online, ordering in store, buying from a local bookstore), the decrease in shipping emissions is sure to help, too. (Plus if you order it secondhand like I did, your number of books to offset is already lower!)

You will push your reading boundaries

When I’m buying a book, or using one of my precious holds at the library on one, I want it to be worth it. This means going for authors I’ve already read, books within my favorite genres, and avoiding books I don’t think I’ll like. 

Pushing the boundaries of what you read is powerful and important, and is even the point of why some of us read in the first place. Giving myself a tool to explore genres and even branch into … non-fiction, has and will prove itself valuable.

Marita is HCCU's president and a senior studying operations management and marketing with a creative technology and design minor. She loves fashion, design and cooking. In her free time, she loves to go on walks and hang out with her bearded dragon, Walter!