10 ways to reconnect with your roomies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With Thanksgiving break coming up and the stress of midterms, have you found yourself spending more time in the library than at home? It’s time to give the books a break and reconnect with the hilarious, supportive and at times too much to handle people you live with! If you’ve lost sight of why you’re rooming with this crazy crew, here are some activities to help rekindle the flame!

1. Work out together! We could all use a bit more motivation to get to the gym, so gather up the roomies for a good sweat session. Go lift weights, do some yoga or try a fun zoomba class!

2. Make dinner with each other. While there may be drama when it comes to the kitchen in your house/ apartment, putting these differences aside and cooking together can be a relaxing and fun change of pace.

3. Have a girl’s night out! Take a night off from your pursuit of Prince Charming and give your boyfriend the night off because it’s time for you to get back to that not-so-innocent girls only mentality! Whether you’re being a wing-woman, or just dancing in that infamous circle of girls, I guarantee you and your roomies will laugh about this night for awhile.

4. Have a girl’s night in. This is just as important as going out and making bad decisions together. Get everyone together to watch a movie, paint nails, play some board games, or just watch TV. This provides a great study break and an opportunity for everyone to catch up.

5. Take a weekend trip together! Whether it’s shopping on the 16th street mall in Denver or going up to the mountains for a day, Colorado is teeming with activities to do on the weekends. Join networks like Groupon and Living Social to get daily deals on fun things to do. A weekend escape is the perfect fix for a roommate fray or to unwind from school.

6. Do something for the holidays! Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it’s never too early to start Christmas shopping so have a list-making party, bake some ginger break cookies, try out some Thanksgiving recipes, or make some holiday themed pottery.

7. Have a game night! Who says we’re too old to enjoy a good game of Candy land or a rousing UNO match? Well, maybe we’ve outgrown Candy land, but Apples to Apples is even more fun and entertaining. Board games and cards are a cheap and easy means to get a whole group together for some friendly competition and laughs.

8. For the more competitive collegiettes, enlist your housemates to form an intramural sports team! CU offers more than 15 different intramural sports for students to try including volleyball, inner tube water polo and ultimate Frisbee.

9. Feeling outdoorsy? With snow coming any day now, we’ll soon be able to indulge in all those fun outdoor winter activities like ice skating, sledding, tubing and of course skiing and snowboarding! Even though it’s on the expensive side, a day on the mountain is well worth the fun exercise and memories you will share with your roomies.

10.  Have a spa day! Convince your roommates to reward themselves for another hard worked semester by getting facials, massages or your nails done. If this is too expensive for you, bring the spa home! Try out a homemade facial with online directions or do each others nails. Either way, you’re pampering yourselves, relaxing and bonding!

For those of you collegiettes living with boys, all of these activities can be tweaked to accommodate the men of the house! So what are you waiting for? Put down the books, iPhones, and laptops and put the “mates” back into roommates!  

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!