Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW
Career > Money

10 Things Worth the money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I have always been someone who hates spending money. Whether it be a small or a large purchase, the prospect of dwindling numbers in my bank account is not something I look forward to. However, spending money is part of life in this day and age, and something which happens on a regular basis. The question is no longer if you spend money or not, but rather on what. Here are some things I think are 100% worth the money. 

1. Kindle.

As an avid reader, a Kindle is a necessity in my life. Small, and able to fit almost anywhere, I can take out this “tablet” and read wherever I want. While we are on the topic of things worthwhile, I additionally think  buying a Kindle with an option for audible reading is a necessary add-on (the Kindle I have is the Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation). Before buying a Kindle with this option, I never was one for books being read to me, but now, with this new feature I am able to listen to books anytime, anywhere. Whether you store 5 books or 200 on your kindle, there will be no regret with this purchase 

1. Bike. 

Okay, I’m not saying you need to go out and spend a gazillion dollars on a bike. If you have the funds, then yes: a full suspension bike is well worth the money- downhill and cross country biking are amazing ways to get outside and get exercise whether alone or with a group of friends. However, I also think a junky bike is worth dropping your dollars for. Being able to zip to and from stores around your local area is so much easier on a bike than on foot. It is more convenient, more exciting, and saves so much more time than walking. 

1. Subscriptions: Netflix and Spotify.

I’m assuming most of you have subscriptions to these already, but if you don’t, it should be a must-have. Netflix is an amazing thing to drop your money on. Watching a good tv-show or movie after a long day is the best reward to look forward to. On Spotify, music is a necessary component of my life. A Spotify subscription (drop down for premium, ads suck!) is well worth the money, for this app is something I use every single day. With every medium of music, and additionally podcasts, you will never have a dull moment in your life if you pay for full access to this platform. 

1. Wireless Headphones.

I will admit, headphones with wires are aesthetically pleasing. But the times are moving on, and I for one am all for this new evolution of technology. While pricey, these headphones are in use every single day (especially as a college student). They allow you unlimited movement during work, and more freedom to listen to anything you want while exercising. I am one of those people who have air-pods and headphones (it seems excessive but I am constantly thankful for my purchase of both). 

1. A Ski Pass.

There is no doubt about it, growing up and living in Colorado, I have a big bias for this purchase. As an avid skier, I couldn’t imagine my life without access to the mountain. However, I think no matter who you are, a ski pass is well worth every dime. Yes, it is scary: that big number staring at you when completing this purchase. I’m not trying to say ski passes are not overpriced, just that you will not regret the money you spend on it. Whether you are a world class athlete or a beginner on the magic carpet, having a day filled with snow, hanging out with your friends, and adrenaline will be something you can cherish forever. The memories that access to a ski area gives you are some of my most treasured memories in all my existence. 

1. Converse. 

These shoes are wonderful. I didn’t invest in a pair of converse until very recently, and I am so glad I finally did. I ended up getting a pair of their high tops, basic I know, and I wear them almost every single day. These shoes have so many uses in my life, whether that be walking around campus, going for an (easy) hike, or lifting in the gym, I have not regretted my decision a single second since I bought them. In addition to this, the shoes I got were the Papyrus color, which I will endlessly recommend over the basic white. Me and my best friend got our converse around the same time, and while her white ones have markings of dirt and dust all over them, mine still look almost the same as the day I got them, the off white being able to pick up colors way better. 

1. A Patagonia Jacket.

Get. A. Jacket. Preferably Patagonia. You may have heard of this company before, and their generous contributions to efforts put into global change. Not only is this brand good for the Earth, but it is also so functional. In the winter time, having an easily accessible coat is a must-have to keep you warm in the sun or cold. It is great for camping, walking around town, or any other outdoor activities (it can even be worn indoors too if you are extra cold)! 

1. Fitbit.

I’m going to put this out there: I love my Fitbit. I recently just got super into this device (I have the Fitbit Alta HR incase anyones wondering), and I use it every single day. My favorite function of this watch is just its time telling abilities: I love knowing the time from an easily accessible place. In addition to this, my fitbit also tracks my steps, my calories burned, my active minutes, and my favorite, sleep! This could just be me, but I am terrible at getting enough sleep every night. This device holds me way more accountable than I would be if I was reliant on myself, and so I think that everything about it is worthy of making this list.  

1. Reusable Water Bottle (Hydroflask).

Drinking water is a key element of life. But carrying around a water bottle you will use more than once is almost as important. Not only do you minimize your waste, but I’ve often found that bringing a water bottle along with me, and placing it somewhere I can see significantly increases my consumption of water. 

1. Camera.

I have a Canon G7X (another fun one is a Papershoot camera) and I think it is one of the best things I own. There are so many options for cameras in this world, but I guarantee you will use it if you drop the money. High quality pictures of your favorite memories are something irreplaceable. Something to also consider when buying a camera is the size (mine is small), and it’s abilities (mine has the feature to record videos which I highly recommend). No matter what though, taking photos can be a hobby or a profession if only you buy a camera.

So that’s the list! Again, all of these items are highly correlated to my life, but every single thing on this list I have never regretted the purchase of. I use most of these things on a daily basis, and though some items on this list are expensive, I would buy them all again without regret. In all, spend your money wisely, but not too limited that you cannot have fun!

Chloe Hehir

CU Boulder '26

Chloe Hehir is a current freshman at the University of Colorado Boulder. Originally from a small mountain town, her dream job is to eventually publish a book and be an author! In addition to this, she is an avid skier, loves gymnastics, and is a big advocate of the outdoors. She hopes you will soon return to some more stories in the future! :)