Life > Experiences

10 Songs You Need On This Halloween’s Spooky Setlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We all know songs like “Thriller” by Michael Jackson really get a group of people going during a Halloween party, but in case you’re looking for a more diverse playlist, here are 10 more awesome songs from various different genres that will fit right into your scary setlist. 

“Somebody’s Watching Me” – Rockwell

Just in case you don’t want to abandon your safe Michael Jackson hits, “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell is a good middle ground. Although not a participant in Rockwell, Jackson is featured in the hit, singing the hook which is what makes it sound so familiar and comfortable. The lyrics are eerie and uncomfortable in the most attractive way, making it a perfect song for your playlist. Who knows, maybe somebody is watching you at that party.

“Feed My Frankenstein” – Alice Cooper

Any classic rock lover would love to hear an Alice Cooper song at your next spooky gathering. Very on brand for Halloween, “Feed My Frankenstein” is simultaneously a sexy and scary song that will get everyone jamming out. 

Reaching James Horner GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
via GIPHY

“Psycho Killer” – Talking Heads

If you want to get a group of people belting out the same song at a party, “Psycho Killer” by the Talking Heads is the way to go. As a popular and thrilling song, it makes for the perfect party alternative rock anthem that everyone will love. 

“I’m Not A Vampire” – Falling In Reverse

This one goes out to all my alternative punk friends who listened to Falling In Reverse a little too much in middle school. I know you emo folks will always appreciate a little Ronnie Radke moment during the spooky season. 

“Black Magic Woman” – Santana

Slowing your setlist down with some Santana can be very refreshing, as guitar solos and instrumentals are what he is known for. “Black Magic Woman” is a guaranteed song to get people dancing with each other.

Carlos Santana GIF by Tyga - Find & Share on GIPHY
via GIPHY

“Zombie” – The Cranberries

Another slow, but fantastic song to feature at your gathering is “Zombie” by The Cranberries. While it is not as intense of a sound as my other recommendations, it makes for better talking music. Not everyone loves screaming over each other at a party. 

“Maneater” – Daryl Hall & John Oates

The popular hit “Maneater” by Hall & Oates is exactly the right amount of sensual, mysterious, groovy, and exciting which makes for an awesome song to add to your scary setlist. It remains on repeat for me year-round. 

“Disturbia” – Rihanna

An old early 2000’s Rihanna throwback is exactly what your playlist needs for your roaring 20’s Halloween playlist. “Disturbia” has a captivating beat that makes it easy for everyone to move to, and the nostalgia factor makes hearing the song that much better. 

“Hayloft” – Mother Mother 

Mother Mother sure knows how to make their songs sexy and electrifying. In fact, any song on the album “O My Heart” would fit perfectly into your playlist. “Hayloft” has a similar storyline as “Run Joey Run” by David Geddes, but the intentional and compositional original sound makes “Hayloft” arguably more captivating. 

“Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)” – Harry Belafonte

Who doesn’t love a Beetlejuice reference? “Day-O” is such a nostalgic song that will most definitely make you dance like you’re possessed by ghosts. Even though the song came out in 1956, it is timeless during the Halloween season. 

Banana Boat Singing GIF by PeacockTV - Find & Share on GIPHY
via GIPHY

I hope you enjoy the tunes just as much as I do with some new, funky, and spooky song recommendations for your scary setlist. Have a wonderful and safe Halloween holiday!

Jordan Saladino

CU Boulder '24

Jordan is from a small town in the western suburbs of Chicago and is very passionate about the arts and sciences. Her interests include psychology, creating mixed-media artwork, and spending time outdoors.