This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We are rapidly approaching college decision time, and I may be biased, but I think you should definitely consider attending CU Boulder! There are so many wonderful things I could tell you about CU– the local restaurants, beautiful hiking trails, and incredible community, to name a few, but I know that the biggest part of your decision will center around the university itself. What sets CU apart from the hundreds of other universities in the country? Here are 10 of CU’s student resources that I believe make it a great university.

1. career services

In addition to some wonderful academic advisors, CU has an entire office dedicated to helping students explore future careers. Career Services offers assistance for building a resume, exploring career paths, nailing interviews, and more. They offer both group workshops and individual advising sessions. Whether you’re in your first semester or about to graduate, Career Services is a great free tool to use when preparing for your future career.

2. center for inclusion and social change

CISC is built up of several organizations, all centered around supporting students of color, LGBTQ+ students, and first-generation students. The center holds events like First Gen Fridays and UndocuAlly training to offer a safe space for all students. CISC also offers food assistance, pregnancy tests, menstrual products, and more to students free of charge. If you need a safe space on campus, this is a great one to check out.

3. counseling and psychiatric services

Also known as CAPS, these services are conveniently located in the C4C (the same building as one of CU’s largest dining halls). Every CU student gets six free sessions with CAPS. In addition to one-on-one counseling sessions, CAPS offers workshops, group therapy, and more. CAPS operates both in-person and remotely, and if there isn’t availability, they also provide recommendations for counselors outside of the university. If you are someone who struggles with mental health, CAPS is an excellent resource.

4. education abroad

CU works with several programs to provide study abroad opportunities for students, and also provides free meetings with education abroad advisors. Through the education abroad office, you can search for dozens of study abroad programs and scholarships. This office makes it easy for CU students to travel all over the country and the world for an incredible and unique college experience.

5. new student and family programs

NSFP is the office that welcomes new students to CU. They are available via phone or email to answer any questions you have about the university or acclimating to college. I personally have worked with NSFP for over two years as a Journey Leader, and have nothing but positive things to say about the office! If you have any questions at all about CU, NSFP will happily help you out.

6. office of victim assistance

OVA is a resource specifically to provide information, advocacy, and empowerment to students who face traumatic events. Just like CAPS, services are provided both in person and online, and help is available 24 hours a day. OVA is there to help students dealing with sexual assault, hazing, discrimination, the death of a loved one, or any other traumatic situation. Information shared with OVA is completely confidential.

7. academic success and achievement program

Also known as ASAP tutoring, this resource provides free tutoring for first-year students or students living on campus. ASAP provides peer-led tutoring for students of all majors, either in person or virtually. Students who live off-campus are encouraged to reach out to ASAP as well for help finding a tutor. If you’re struggling with a class during your first year especially, this is a great resource for you to take advantage of.

8. nutrition services

Nutrition Services offers students nutrition consultations, counseling, and education. CU students receive two free visits with a certified nutritionist and can schedule more specialized services as well. This resource is great for students who have questions about or struggle with food allergies, disordered eating, diabetes, nutrient deficiencies, and more.

9. writing center

CU Boulder has a Writing Center where students receive free assistance from professionals with writing their essays at any stage. Whether you’re brainstorming a topic or putting the final touches on your senior thesis, the writing center will help you make your writing the best it can be. Writing Center services are currently offered remotely via 50-minute sessions.

10. cu nightride

If you’re out late at night and don’t feel comfortable driving or walking home, CU NightRide has you covered. CU NightRide is basically CU’s version of Uber or Lyft, except it’s completely free! Download the TransLoc app to request a ride from this service. CU NightRide also provides a safe and judgment-free place for students who may be intoxicated or out late at night.

My experiences with these offices at CU have been overwhelmingly positive. Every advisor, counselor, or assistant I’ve met with has been so kind and supportive. I love CU for many reasons, but I’m especially grateful for the resources it has provided me and the people who have helped me through my questions or difficult experiences. These offices will be here ready to welcome you with open arms when you commit to CU Boulder!

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.