person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

The Newest Instagram Algorithm Ruining the Feed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.
Honestly, instagram’s new algorithm is super cool since it’s now based on what and who you like rather than chronological order. Obviously, business  based instagrams are shown more frequently in the feed because some businesses pay to make sure their post are being shown. As someone who helps small businesses out with their instagram accounts, this can be very frustrating. 

Since this has messed up many different peoples amount of likes/engagement on this app, this is something that is very frustrating for practically anyone. As some people get upwards towards 1,000 likes having 3,000 followers, that is a 33% engagement rate. After this summer, those people were only getting approximately 500-600 likes which drops a lot due to the fact that their post are not being seen by all of their followers. 

This is the same thing Facebook did as that both apps are ran by the same company now. However, some ways to boost your engagement is to post on your story often, since it is at the very top of everyone’s feed and engage with a lot of your followers post, since they will see you liked something of theirs and try to match that like if you’re lucky. 
I'm in my second year of college, studying Zoology with a minor in Media Studies, also a member of Tri-Deezy
Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi