This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

Being in college with a shopping addiction guarantees one thing: I’m broke but also dress really cute. On top of my normal closet, I have two hanging closets along with a dresser overflowing with clothes, shoes, & accessories. Unfortunately, with so many clothing items, not every item gets the same love it deserves. Thankfully, I’ve found a way to recycle these items while also making money to help pay for school (or you know, more clothes).

Poshmark is an online website along with an app that allows users to buy & sell clothing, shoes, & accessories. I’m a Poshwhore, constantly being on it trying to sell my items I no longer use. I’ve been using Poshmark since December and I’ve already made over $500, not to mention I’ve become a Poshmark Ambassador.

Here are some tips to help you become successful on Poshmark:

1. Lighting is KEY

When taking photos of your items you wish to sell, you must have good lighting! Always use natural lighting and be sure that your shadow isn’t in the way. Good lighting allows buyers to see how the item truly looks. Use a faux fur blanket or a nice wooden floor as a background to enhance the photo as well.

2. Share, Share, Share

One of the most important things you can do on Poshmark is share others’ listings. Sharing other Posh users items will not only get you followed by them, but they will thank you by sharing some of yours. Sharing items & having your items be shared, allows users who do not follow you view your product in their feed. This leads to more followers & more sales!

3. Price your Items Fairly

Obviously people use Poshmark to make money, but you have to price your items fairly. If you paid $35 for a dress that has been worn several times and is over a year old, don’t sell it for $30 on Poshmark. Though Poshmark does take a cut of your earnings, be fair with your price. Encourage buyers to create bundles & make offers on items, it’s better to sell your item for a little less than you were hoping for then not sell it at all.

4. Talk to People

Poshmark doesn’t have private messages, but that doesn’t mean you can’t talk to your followers. Find new posh users and welcome them to Poshmark. You can also see who has liked your items & tell them to make you an offer. Talking to people shows you care and allows you to answer any questions someone may have.

5. Free Boxes

Poshmark does two-day express shipping and thankfully the post office gives these boxes away for FREE. Yes, 100% free. You can even order a bunch of priority boxes online, so you always have some in stock. I spent my first few sales running to target multiple times to purchase boxes before I learned that I could get them for free. Just remember you are only allowed to use priority mail boxes NOT express priority shipping. Express priority shipping will not be delivered to your customers without them paying a hefty fee.  

If you’re looking to get rid of some of your closet but need the extra cash, hopefully these tips help you become successful on Poshmark. I promise it’s worth it & gives you a lot more money than Plato’s Closet ;) I’m off to Coachella this weekend, but be sure to stay tuned to the CSU HerCampus Instagram to watch my adventures.

Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi