kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

This week, I’m taking a moment to talk about something pretty heavy, and skipping over my planned Fall-ing for Colorado series. September is an awesome month. Spooky Season™ is fast approaching, the leaves are changing, football (marching band) season is back, and school is starting up all across the US.

But it’s also an especially hard month for families, friends, loved ones, and those we don’t know, who spend this month advocating alongside anyone affected by childhood cancer. September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and during this time, we might see people all around coming together and going gold, the color designated to Childhood Cancer Awareness.

According to the American Childhood Cancer Organization, around 15,780 American children anywhere from birth to 19 years old diagnosed with cancer every year. And while sometimes the children affected are able to undergo treatments successfully, according to the American Cancer Society, cancer still remains the second most leading cause of death in youth from ages 1-14.

And while many of you reading this, will have a chord struck inside you, many more will not. But this September I’m remembering my best friend who passed away this year from brain cancer, and who celebrated her 21st birthday here with us in spirit. If you’re as passionate as I am about Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, I encourage you to get involved as best you can, even if it’s just something as seemingly simple as lending an ear to a friend who needs it.

We’re living in a world so full of life, and energy, and excitement. Some, here for a shorter time than others, but neither live it less full. In my opinion, life is less about what you get, and more about the memories you make with others.

Be kind to each other Rams, you never know what a fellow Ram is going through, and we should be supporting each other through thick and thin, because we’re a community here. Stay happy, healthy, and safe.

Source Links: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-in-children/key-statistics.html

https://www.acco.org/us-childhood-cancer-statistics/

Ash is a second-ish year transfer student at CSU from the (Beast Coast) East Coast- and when she isn't giving tours of the school, or rehearsing with the marching band, you just might find her exploring some of the wicked cool hiking trails Colorado has to offer! To see her living her best life, take a look at her 'gram @AshleyProcanyn .
Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi