Culture > News

Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick: BRAVE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

I’m going to have to start this post with the statement that I’m aware everyone has different opinions and reasons for those. All I ask is that you respect my own opinions as I would do for you as well. We don’t have to all agree but there’s no harm in seeing a different side to your own opinions as well.

If you haven’t heard yet, Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed into the Supreme Court. Honestly, I’m disgusted. I read in a post by USA Today that Donald Trump called Kavanaugh’s confirmation a “truly historic night and a tremendous victory.”

I can’t say I feel the same way as Trump on this. How can you call three women’s sexual assault allegations being pushed aside a tremendous victory? These women were brave enough to speak out in front of the whole world in order to protect other women from this. It makes me sad that those three courageous women were ignored.

I saw an interview pop up on my Facebook timeline the other day that I could really agree and connect to on this issue. The interview was from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and the special guest was Lady Gaga. It was brought up that Lady Gaga has always been an amazing activist for women. Stephen Colbert asked Lady Gaga her feelings on the topic of Brett Kavanaugh. She stated, “this debate of Kavanaugh versus Dr. Ford is one of the most upsetting things I have ever witnessed.” (AGREED). Lady Gaga shared why she thinks we need to believe these women coming forward. She explained that “If someone is assaulted or experiences trauma, there is scientific proof that people change, the brain changes. The brain takes the trauma and puts it in a box, files it away, and shuts it, so that we can survive the pain. It also does a lot of other things, it can cause body pain, it can cause base line elevations in anxiety, it can cause complete avoidance of wanting to even remember or think about what happened to you. What I believe that I have seen is that when this woman saw that Judge Kavanaugh was going to be possibly put in the highest position of power in the judicial system of this country, she was triggered. That box opened.”

These three women deserved to be heard and respected. So, Donald Trump, I do not and will not ever consider a confirmation of a supreme court nominee who has allegations of sexual misconduct as a tremendous victory.

To the people who push off these women’s allegations because of the time these assaults happened, I feel sad for you. Put yourself in one of these three women’s shoes and ask yourself, would you be brave enough to go against a supreme court nominee to finally get some peace and justice? These women are brave, I will continue to say and stick by that statement

Well hello there, my name is Kaitlyn. I am a sophomore at Colorado State University, studying social work. I probably spend a good 70% of my life at Starbucks or other local coffee shops. I also probably spend way too much time posting on Instagram. If you'd like to see my work there so far, follow me @kaitlynkusmik