This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

I hate that I can even type this because it shouldn’t have happened. Mac Miller passed away on September 7th. The last I read, the cause was unknown or maybe just unannounced but it has been reported that it may have been a drug overdose.

Mac Miller was dealing with his own demons and to me that realization hurts the most. So many people struggle to find peace on earth. Sometimes your own mind can be your worst enemy. I don’t know what Mac needed to feel whole again, but it saddens me that he felt like he had no other outlets. I hope Mac was able to find the peace he was seeking.

Tonight, I encourage you to check on your friends and family. It’s hard to see what other people may be struggling with behind closed doors, but they might just need an ear to listen. Someone that won’t judge, won’t comment, but will tell them they matter. Being a social work major, I have learned some amazing tips to interviewing and counseling. My biggest take away so far is that people who are hurting, don’t want you to say you understand. You don’t understand. No matter how much you think you can relate to their situation, you do not understand. You are not that specific person in that situation. It’s more meaningful to let that person know, you hear them. You are listening. You are present. You hear them.

I know it feels like I just gave you a whole lesson of social work skills but it plays in so well with this topic, I had to. I will never know if Mac Miller needed someone to listen to him but it’s important to be that person for the people close to you. Actually, not only the people close to you. Be that person for anyone who you think may need it. Be the stranger that will listen because you could really make a difference. I promise you, when you are that difference someone needed, it changes your whole world. Personally, I thrive off that. Being that person for people, is SO incredibly important to me, hence why I picked social work.

Like I said, check on the people around you and I literally mean around you. Check on everyone.

Mac Miller, you are missed incredibly.

Well hello there, my name is Kaitlyn. I am a sophomore at Colorado State University, studying social work. I probably spend a good 70% of my life at Starbucks or other local coffee shops. I also probably spend way too much time posting on Instagram. If you'd like to see my work there so far, follow me @kaitlynkusmik
Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi