This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

Ever got a haircut so short you’re desperate for some length? Is your hair not growing like the way it used to? Sadly, hair doesn’t grow down to your knees overnight, but hair typically grows about half an inch a month – that’s six inches a year. Here are some simple, convenient ways (for ALL hair types) to help grow your hair longer and faster.

1.Trim split ends.

Getting frequent trims is the key to maintaining healthy hair. However, haircuts themselves don’t make your hair grow faster, but they get rid of the split ends that are frequently breaking off your hair. It is important to get rid of breakage and damage that will stunt your hair’s growth. Depending on your hair type and length, decide when to trim your ends as necessary.

2. Hot oil treatments.

When it comes to essential oils and hot oil treatments, many are not aware of this helpful tip for hair growth. Hot oil treatments strength the hair, reduce dryness and frizz and increase blood flow to the scalp. Hot oil treatments are extremely beneficial for all hair types and easy enough to do yourself. 

Before you decide to do a hot oil treatment, choose an essential oil that you are not allergic too, especially if you have sensitive skin. Some popular oils include coconut, olive, almond, jojoba, and argan oil. Once you have decided, follow these simple steps for a DIY hot oil treatment:

1. First, wash all dirt and product build-up out of your hair. Hot oil treatments work best on clean hair. Oils will not be able to deeply penetrate hair cuticles unless the scalp is clean. 
  2. Once your hair is clean, microwave 2 to 5 tablespoons of your choice of oil for 10 – 15 seconds. 
  3. Before using the oil on your clean, damp hair, test a small amount on your wrist to make sure it is not too hot for your scalp.
  4. While applying the oil, brush it through your hair to make sure it is saturated throughout your entire head. 
  5. Then cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 15 – 30 minutes. This will allow the oil to deeply penetrate your scalp. 
  6. When time is up, completely rise out the oil from your hair. You may then follow up with your choice of conditioner (optional). 

Hot oil treatments tend to work best for those with dry, damaged, and brittle hair, and an itchy, dandruff-infested scalp. It is advised to do hot oil treatments at least once a week or once every other week. 

3. Scalp massages. 

Similar to hot oil treatments, scalp massages help stimulate and increase blood flow to the scalp and promote hair growth. When the scalp is messaged daily, this will allow the hair follicles to stay active and healthy. Massaging areas in your scalp with thinning hair will also help with hair growth. Scalp massages can also aid as a stress reliever. 

4. Avoid over-styling

Try to avoid using heat styling tools frequently. However, if you must use heat, decrease the temperature on your tool and use a good heat protectant spray. If you use heat styling tools too often, you risk damaging your hair, causing frizz and breakage. 

5. Sleep with a bonnet or silk pillowcase

Sleeping on a cotton pillowcase will strip the natural oils from your hair and cause lots of damage. All hair types should switch to a silk or satin pillowcase, which will not cause any friction or damage to your hair the way regular cotton does. The same goes for drying hair with regular towels – opt for drying your hair with t-shirts or microfiber hair towels instead of cotton towels. 

6.Take daily hair vitamins.

Daily hair vitamins are not a cure for damaged hair, but they do help with hair growth. If your current diet does not supply you with the nutrition needed to maintain healthy hair, then a daily supplement may be of assistance. However, hair supplements should not be taken without talking to your doctor first. 

Ashanti Knox

CSU East Bay '21

Ashanti Knox is a graduate from California State University, East Bay with a B.A. in Communication and Media Studies. She was born and raised in Sacramento, California. She has experience managing social media accounts, creating online content, and volunteering at animal shelters and enjoys caring for animals (especially dogs). She does her best writing in tranquil coffee shops, the university library, and in her cozy, quiet dorm room. Ashanti loves to spend hours watching hair tutorial videos, playing UNO on the beach, and taking the longer way home so she can listen to her favorite songs.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!