This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

Vitamin E is a nutrient and a powerful antioxidant. But wait, what’s an antioxidant?  Antioxidants are substances that fight free radicals (AKA the bad guys) which are known to damage cells and accelerate aging. Vitamin E helps protect the skin from environmental damage, like air pollution and unprotected sun exposure. Incorporating Vitamin E oil in your skincare routine is a fairly inexpensive way to nourish and protect your skin. Some of the benefits of Vitamin E oil are: 

Bye-bye dry skin

If you have dry skin, Vitamin E oil creates a barrier around your cells, keeping your skin moisturized and healthy. 

Pro tip: Whenever you have chapped, dry lips, just apply a few drops of Vitamin E oil on your lips before bed and you’d see a noticeable change in the morning.  

Sun Protection with Vitamins C+E 

We’ve all heard about how great vitamin C is for skincare but when you combine vitamin C with vitamin E oil, it can provide natural UV protection and decrease sunburn cell formation. (You still need to use sunscreen daily, pretty please) 

Forever Young 

Vitamin E oil boosts your collagen production meaning that it helps to prevent wrinkles and also gives you brighter and firmer skin. Plus, it’s also great to treat wounds and scars. 

How and when to use it?

Skincare experts recommend using vitamin E oil once a day at night, especially if you wear makeup every day. You can mix a few drops of vitamin E oil with your nighttime moisturizer or you can skip moisturizer all together and simply apply a light layer of it on your face and body every night. 

Hold on a sec… 

Vitamin E is great and works wonders for those with very dry skin. But, if you have oily skin or you’re prone to breakouts and clogged pores, applying vitamin E oil could make things worse. If you see any redness or if you notice you start breaking out, then take this as a sign that your skin is intolerant to the product. Instead you can look for lighter skincare products that contain vitamin E or eat foods that are rich in this vitamin such as, almonds, spinach, broccoli, avocados, kiwi, shrimp, and olive oil. 

Valentina Perez

CSU East Bay '21

Valentina is a Senior majoring in Strategic Communications at California State University, East Bay. She was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia and has been living in the San Francisco Bay Area since 2015. She is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus CSUEB. Valentina aspires to attend graduate school and specialize in marketing. During her free time, she enjoys to cook, workout and read.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!