This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

As a college student, it can be tough making money while going to school full-time. Most of us are struggling to find ways of earning money, but you can make money from home. We all have loads of clothes that we don’t wear anymore, and instead of getting rid of them, we hoard them in our closets and drawers. There is a solution by selling your clothes online!

Try going through your closet and organize the clothes that you consistently wear and the clothes that you never wear. You will see how much space your old clothes are taking up.

To sell your clothes online, you’ll need to choose a platform to sell your clothes on. There are many different platforms that you can use to sell your clothes and they are all legitimate. 

Courtesy of EcommerceBytes.com

1. Mercari

Mercari is a marketplace app where users can sell any items that they desire such as phones, laptops, clothes, books, and much more! It first started its launch in Japan and now it is one of the most popular marketplace apps. It is a very simple app to use. You’ll need to take good photos of the items you want to sell, input all of the information about the item such as brand and size, choose the price and a shipping option for it, and then create a public listing! All interactions are done on the app so you don’t have to worry about meeting someone face-to-face. Customers can message you and also make offers for your products. The only downside is that Mercari takes 10% of the sale you make off of an item. Once you made a sale, Mercari will send a shipping label to print out and then you ship sold items out at the post office.

Courtesy of TheBrandIdentity.com

2. Depop

Depop is very similar to other marketplace apps but users are more creative with the photos they take of items they wish to sell. It gives a platform for designers, artists, collectors, and vintage sellers to be creative and sell their products. When you’re on the app, you will see that it looks like Instagram but it is meant for selling clothes and other items. If you love being creative with your photos and want to make money, this is the app for you! You simply take good and clear photos of your product, list the information about it, and post it. There isn’t any face-to-face interaction on this app as well! Similar to Mercari, Depop also takes a small percentage of your sales.

Courtesy of ThriveLifestyleSolutions.com

3. Poshmark

Poshmark is also another marketplace app that people use to sell their clothes and is very similar to the other apps mentioned previously. You take photos of the items you want to sell, describe the condition, brand, size, and make the post public! Once a customer purchases it, you print out the shipping label and send the item out. It is very simple and easy to use. For any sales that are under $15, Poshmark takes a commission of $2.95 and the seller takes the rest. If there are sales that are over $15, Poshamrks takes 20% of the sale and the seller gets 80%. 

Courtesy of Sccpre.cat

4. Facebook Marketplace

If you have a Facebook account, you can sell items on the Facebook Marketplace which shows your listings to locals around you. You can sell anything you want on there. Just like with the other apps, you take photos of the items you want to sell, give a good and accurate description, set a price, and post it! The only downside of this platform is that most of the interactions are made in person. When you make a sale and need to meet up with a customer, make sure you bring someone else with you. You never know what can happen! It can be a risky platform to use but many people use it and sell their items successfully.

It is tough being a broke college student but selling clothes or any item you want is a good way to make money on the side. All of the apps mentioned are easy to use and understand. You should give it a try and you’ll be surprised about how easy it is to make money by selling your unused clothes!

Vina Nguyen

CSU East Bay '20

Vina Nguyen is a 4th-year student at California State University, East Bay. She is pursuing a BA in Communications, Multimedia Journalism and will be graduating in Fall of 2020. She is part of the social media committee of the HER Campus East Bay Chapter and has a love for photography and video production. After graduating college, she hopes to go to a graduate school in Southern California and further her knowledge on film making. She hopes to be working to in the film and entertainment industry in the future. When she isn't focused on schoolwork, she loves to read, listen to music, and spend time with her 3 dogs; Beau, Buddy, and Luna.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!