5 Cocktails to Try This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, to celebrate here are a few pink buzzy recipes to impress your gals or S.O. These recipes are super quick and fun with a few basic kitchen accessories required. No reservations? No problem! Drop the typical Valentine’s Day routine with long lines at a bar and overcrowded restaurants. 

1. Raspberry Mule

• Muddle 3-5 raspberries

Then add 

• 1 oz of lime juice 

• 1.5 oz of Vodka

• To finish top it off with ginger beer

2. Rose Sangria

This one you’d want to prep the night before and it’s totally worth it. For one pitcher you will need: 

• Slice one cup of strawberries 

• One cup of raspberries 

• Grab your favorite bottle of Rose

• 1 cup of orange juice

• ¾ gin or vodka, whichever you prefer

Mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge overnight ​

3. Aperol Margarita

• 1.5 oz of tequila

• ¾ oz of agave syrup 

• 1 oz of lime juice

• ¾ oz Aperol

• Add an orange for garnish

Agave syrup can be homemade but many households do not have agave nectar in the pantry. Pick up any size agave syrup bottle in the alcohol aisle at your local grocery store for quick use. 

4. Strawberry Martini

• Muddle strawberries 

• 1 oz of fresh lemon juice

• 1.5 oz of Vodka

• ¾ oz of Simple Syrup 

• Shake and strain 

• Garnish with strawberries 

Simple syrup is quite simple to make. Bring ½ cup of water to a soft boil in a small pot or tea kettle. Then pour ½ cup of granulated sugar in a 8 fl oz (or larger) glass jar. Add ½ cup of soft boiled water to sugar mix and stir vigorously until sugar is completely dissolved. Let stand until mixture reaches room temperature, refrigerate and use when desired. This delicious mixture can also be used as a nice sweetener for your favorite morning beverage or other nonalcoholic drinks. 

5. Pomegranate Whiskey Sour

• 2 oz Bourbon Whiskey 
  • 1oz lemon juice
  • 1oz Pomegranate Syrup
  • Shake and strain 
  • Garnish with lemon peel and pomegranate berries 

Pomegranate syrup can also be made from scratch, but with a couple of modifications to the simple syrup recipe. Simply add 1 cup of pomegranate juice to ⅛ cup of granulated sugar in a saucepan or small pot over medium heat. Once brought to a soft boil, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and then stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let mixture sit until it reaches room temperature. Refrigerate and enjoy it in your cocktail or if you just want a delicious drink after a long week of school. Best of all, pomegranate syrup is safe to consume up to 4 weeks after it is made so feel free to make a little extra and keep it in the fridge.

Valentina Perez

CSU East Bay '21

Valentina is a Senior majoring in Strategic Communications at California State University, East Bay. She was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia and has been living in the San Francisco Bay Area since 2015. She is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus CSUEB. Valentina aspires to attend graduate school and specialize in marketing. During her free time, she enjoys to cook, workout and read.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!