10 Reasons to Add Colombia to Your Travel Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

We all have daydreamed about traveling to a foreign country and discovering a new culture. For many people, Western European countries like Spain, France, and Italy are all on top of their travel bucket list due to its popularity. Unfortunately, they don’t think about the hidden gems in the world like South America have to offer. If you’re looking for a vacation where you’re surrounded with delicious food, friendly people and beautiful sceneries, then it’s time to book your next flight to Colombia!  

1. Climate 

Depending on where you go in Colombia, you’ll find a tropical climate all year-round. In cities that are at sea level, such as Cartagena and Santa Marta, the average temperature is 85°F and is rarely below 73°F. Medellin, Colombia’s second biggest city, is called “La ciudad de la eterna primavera” which literally translates to The City of the Eternal Spring due to its year long comfortable warm weather. Lastly, if you visit Colombia’s capital, Bogota, you’ll find a mild climate that is comparable to San Francisco with cold and cozy nights. 

2. The Food 

Thanks to the diverse climate, Colombian farmers can grow fruits and vegetables year round which makes food consistently fresh and delicious (yay for organic food!). While you’re there try some of their exotic delicious fruit juices, such as jugo de Lulo o Maracuya. Also, Colombian’s take a lot of pride in their Arepas, which are cornmeal-based patties that you can fill with cheese or meat. You can find arepas for as little as 60 cents to $2 USD anywhere in Colombia, and there are so many varieties that vary from region to region. 

3. The Nightlife 

Cali, Medellin, Cartagena, and Bogota all have an incredible nightlife. There are so many great clubs, bars and restaurants to have a good time and enjoy the culture. Colombian’s know how to have a good time and love to dance.

4. The Biodiversity 

“If Earth’s biodiversity were a country, it could be called Colombia” – National Geographic. 

Colombia being the second most biodiverse country in the world, is home to an immense variety of plants, birds, amphibians, butterflies, and more. By supporting Colombia’s ecotourism, you’ll be helping Colombia’s conservation efforts that protect its ecosystems and wildlife. 

5. The Festivals 

If you get to plan your vacation to Colombia in February, attending the Carnaval de Barranquilla is a must. This carnival is one of the most iconic celebrations in Colombia since the early 19th century. By attending a carnival, you’ll get to experience Colombian culture with colorful parades, dancing groups, and folkloric music. 

6. The Coffee 

After visiting Colombia, starbucks will never taste the same. Thanks to their rich climate and geographical location, Colombia has the perfect soil to grow high-quality coffee. If you are a coffee lover, you absolutely need to visit the Eje Cafetero, Colombia’s coffee growing region. You’ll find yourself sipping coffee in a wonderland of colorful small towns, hot springs and amazing views of the Andes Mountains. 

7. The People 

Colombians are known for being joyful, happy and passionate. There’s constant good vibes and positivity. Locals are very welcoming of foreign tourists as they want them to have a positive and safe experience. 

8. The History 

When visiting Cartagena, you’ll get to learn a lot about Spanish arrival and colonization in the 1500’s. You can visit the Castillo San Felipe de Barajas, which opened in 1536 and served as a fortress for the city. If you are in Bogota, there are many historical landmarks and museums where you can admire gold and art of the pre-Columbian era. 

9. The National Parks 

If hiking is your thing, then you can’t miss Colombia’s beautiful National Parks. Check out Tayrona’s National Park, El Cocuy National Park, and Chingaza National Park.

10. Let’s Break Stereotypes 

Let’s get real… Colombia’s safety and security is much better than it used to be over twenty years ago. The country is now safer than ever before for travelers, and Colombian’s are not living in a state of fear. Do not believe everything you see on a episode of Narcos or else you will miss out on the true beauty of Colombia. This fascinating country has so much to offer, so why are you waiting to add Colombia to your bucket list? 

Valentina Perez

CSU East Bay '21

Valentina is a Senior majoring in Strategic Communications at California State University, East Bay. She was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia and has been living in the San Francisco Bay Area since 2015. She is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus CSUEB. Valentina aspires to attend graduate school and specialize in marketing. During her free time, she enjoys to cook, workout and read.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!