Why You Should Go to Apple Fest this Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Kick off the fall season with Ithaca’s annual Apple Harvest this weekend from Friday to Sunday. The Fest is open from 12:00pm to 6:00pm on Friday and 10:00am to 6:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. The Festival is located in the Commons, which is a quick 10-minute walk from Collegetown. Parking may be scarce, so try not to drive – the TCAT is a great option. I’m allergic to apples, yet it’s still my favorite time of the year. Here’s why:

1. The Apples (of course)

Whether you like your apples green or red, sweet or tart, there’s something for everyone! My personal favorite is the Honeycrisp apple, which is grown locally in the Finger Lakes region. The Honeycrisp surely lives up to its name. It’s both crunchy and sweet as honey – the perfect combo. My second favorite is the Fuji, which is similar to the Honeycrisp but is a little less tart and a little more juicy. Here’s a link to the apple varieties local to New York State. An assortment of stands offer apples for sale; some stands have grab bags while others have a fill-your-own-bag for a set price. I’d recommend getting apples at the end so you don’t need to lug them around.

2. Apple Cider Donuts

Apple cider donuts are my favorite part of Apple Fest. Some come plain, others come glazed, but they’re all super fresh from the fryer. The best apple cider donuts, by far, are coated in cinnamon sugar. There’s one Amish stand that sells these – make sure to check it out.

3. Mulled Cider

Keep your hands and bellies warm during the brisk fall weather with a cup of hot apple cider. The cider is made by mulling apple juice with an assortment of spices, including cinnamon, allspice, and cloves for plenty of hours so all the flavors blend together. The apples used for the cider are typically pressed from the local Honeycrisp apples I referred to earlier, so the drink is even tastier than ciders you’ll find elsewhere!

4. Apple Mac and Cheese

I assure you, it’s not as gross as it sounds. In fact, apples and cheese are a heavenly combination that perfectly combines sweet with salty. After so many desserts, balance your palate with something savory.

5. Caramel Apples

There’s no feeling more satisfying than sinking your teeth into an ooey gooey layer of silky caramel mixed with the tartness of apple. Whether you like your caramel apples dipped in nuts or sprinkles, they’re all delicious (and will stick to your teeth).

6. The Craft Show

Apple Fest is more than just apples. There will be over a hundred local craft vendors set up, selling all sorts of knick-knacks from smelling salts to scarves to fudge. Come support your local craftspeople while also spicing up your home and wardrobe!

7. It’s free!

Unlike many state fairs and festivals, there is no admission fee for Apple Fest, which is all the more reason to go. Bring your friends, or head there with the Her Campus Cornell ladies this weekend!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell