Why Ithaca Mall is Actually Amazing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Upon first glance, Ithaca Mall might look slightly underwhelming. However, over my time at Cornell, I’ve grown to love the little shopping center. Here are some reasons you should give Ithaca Mall a chance.

1. Lack of people

My absolute favorite thing about Ithaca Mall is how empty it generally is, even on weekends. This means no long lines, no pushing your way through crowds of people, and an overall peaceful mall experience.

2. Always getting new stores

Stores tend to close and new stores quickly pop up at Ithaca Mall, which could be seen as a positive or a negative. Personally, I enjoy seeing some of the stores change. For example, recently, RadioShack was replaced by Weight Watchers. There are some more new empty storefronts at the mall, and I’m always excited to see what new stores will show up next.

3. Events with lots of free stuff

Usually on the weekend there are events going on at Ithaca Mall, and different groups will come advertise their services. Their tables typically have yummy candy and other various free items. I was there once during an animal themed event, and one table had all sorts of cool snakes and other reptiles and amphibians to check out!

4. Good place to walk

I love to go on walks around campus, but sometimes Ithaca weather doesn’t cooperate with my plans. As an alternative, I can go to the mall and browse while getting some snow and rain free exercise.

5. Adorable cats to pet

There’s an SPCA Annex at the Ithaca Mall with a ton of cute cats you can pet and play with. It’s a great stress reliever and something you won’t find in most malls. Plus, the cats absolutely adore getting attention!

6. Great sales

Since the mall doesn’t get a ton of visitors, you’re bound to find some great deals. I always check out the sale sections at Ulta and DSW. You can often find huge discounts on great products.

Yes, Ithaca Mall doesn’t have a ton of stores, but it actually has a lot to offer. It’s just a short bus ride away from Cornell’s campus, so check it out this weekend if you have some time. You might be surprised at how much fun you have!

Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell