Wegmans Store Brand Products You Must Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If you’re living off-campus this year and frequent Wegman’s, or Wegs, on “the reg,” you probably have seen its products lining the shelves. It’s been ranked the best grocery store in America according to Business Insider, and here’s why. Not only does Wegmans offer superb customer service and promote sustainability and a positive employee culture, but it also has the best “store brand” food you’ll find at any grocery store. Most Wegman’s own products are sold for a lower price than brand name products at equivalent or arguably better quality. Here are a few store-brand gems you might not know about.

Brown Sugar BBQ Chicken Breast Cutlets ($5.99/lb)

Who has time to marinate chicken? I sure don’t, or at least I’m too lazy and forgetful. Wegmans offers pre-marinated chicken that has soaked up so much flavor, you don’t need to worry about seasoning it yourself. It also gives you instructions to cook it. It’s super simple and perfect for any lazy chef like me. Other seasonings to try are Teriyaki and Lemon Garlic, but the Brown Sugar BBQ is perfectly sweet, salty, and herb-y! Prices go by weight – it’s a little more expensive that plain chicken breasts but worth the flavour!

Basil Pesto Sauce ($3.99)

Why spend $6.99 on a fancy 7 oz. jar of pesto when you can get the exact same product for $3.99? Wegmans pesto is just like any high quality pesto and really packs a punch. Add it to your pasta, zoodles, or chicken panini. The only downside is it must be finished within a week or so of opening. However, it’s so yummy you can’t help but eat it all!

Penne Rigate Mozzarella Salad ($9.49)

Pasta? Cheese? Pasta and cheese? Need I say more? I’m usually grossed out by pre-made pastas. They can be stale and congealed, but this one isn’t! This pre-made pasta dish is lightly drizzled with olive oil and has chunks of fresh mozzarella sprinkled throughout. Pro tip: add some sliced cherry tomatoes for a pop of color and pine nuts for some crunch. It comes in a massive Family Pack tub, so it’s perfect for a dinner party. If you’re like me and tackling it on your own, it should last you a while.

Feel Good About Yourself Dark Chocolate Almonds ($6.99)

If you’re reading this and have a severe nut allergy, I’m sorry, but this had to make it onto the list. I don’t even like almonds, but for some reason I can’t resist these. Maybe it’s the creamy chocolate or the snap of the almonds. Regardless, they’re addictive, so beware. This is the priciest item listed, but it’s ok to treat yourself now and then!

Radiatore Pasta ($0.99)

This is the second pasta item to make the list, but what can I say? I love pasta. This pasta shape is often difficult to find because, as you can tell by the picture, it’s a little obscure. When cooked to the perfect al dente (which takes about 10 minutes), the little radiatores have an awesome bite and the little ridges make the pasta great at absorbing sauce, like Wegman’s own Basil Marinara. The best part is that a big box is only ONE DOLLAR!

Seasoned Spirals ($1.69)

Making fries at home is scary and a huge burden. You need to chop and season them and deal with hot oil splashing at your face. Also, I have no idea how to make fries curly. Why deal with all of this when you can buy Wegman’s pre-made curly fries? I can attest that these fries are better seasoned, crispier, and less oily than any greasy alternative you will find at a restaurant. The spirals come frozen, which is a necessity for fries because it helps avoid soggy potatoes. All you need to do is pop them in the oven and voila!

White Cheddar Pierogies ($1.99)

Pierogies are easily in my top favorite foods of all time. As a pierogi connoisseur, I can confidently say these not only satisfy cravings but also taste delicious. The wrapping is not super thick and doughy, and the filling is creamy and the perfect level of salty. I’d recommend pan frying them to get a nice crisp exterior and pairing them with some caramelized onions.

Special Blend Asian Chopped Salad Kit ($3.69)

This is another suggestion perfect for any lazy person who likes good food. Salad looks so easy to make, but involves so many ingredients and far too much meal prep. I’m not a salad person, but Wegman’s Ginger Sesame Dressing is to die for. The Kit comes with a cabbage, carrot, and celery slaw, a packet of dressing, and a packet of crunchy noodles and almonds. Cilantro and green onion are also in the slaw and add some extra freshness. To take the meal up a notch, slice up some Wegman’s pre-marinated Teriyaki chicken breast I mentioned earlier.

Happy shopping and happy eating!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell