NBC’s The Voice USA is the Best Show of the Decade – Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

We’ve watched American Idol and X-Factor go extinct (RIP), but at Season 13, which aired a few weeks ago, The Voice USA is still going strong. Why is the show constantly breaking record-levels of viewership? Aren’t people getting bored? The show has lasted so long because, well, it’s the best. Here’s why.

1. The blind auditions

American Idol was super cringe-worthy as the show would deliberately include horrible and embarrassing singers for entertainment. The Voice is much classier – though some contestants fail to turn any of the four judges’ chairs, their performances are still worth watching and don’t make your ears bleed. They also film the family and friends of the contestants, who get to watch the auditions live from the side stage. It’s so heartwarming seeing their reactions as judges turn around for their loved ones. You never know when judges will turn; sometimes they wait until the very last second, whereas others turn within seconds. Here is the fastest 4-chair turn ever.

2. The teams

I love how each judge gets to coach their own team. Each judge gets to bring in guest judges (their celebrity friends) and attracts different styles of artists. The country singers usually all flock to Blake, but it’s interesting to see when the genres of contestants are completely different from their judges.

3. The Battle Round

This round is held in a boxing arena – it’s kind of cheesy, but I love it. Following the blind auditions, each singer faces-off with one other member of their team, with only one winner! I love this round because it’s the only part of the show in which the contestants sing with each other, so you get to hear a lot of jaw-dropping harmonies. Here is my favorite battle from this season.

4. Steals!

In the Battle and Knockout rounds, there’s only one winner per face-off. But, the judges are able to save losing contestants and bring them back onto the show as part of their team. I love the anticipation that comes with not knowing who will get stolen and when, as well as the surprised look on the faces of the contestants who barely get saved from elimination.

5. The judges

Throughout its many seasons, The Voice has invited a lot of star judges, including Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, Shakira, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Usher, Pharrell Williams and Cee Lo Green. Country music star Blake Shelton and Maroon 5’s lead singer Adam Levine have been judges since the start and have developed a legendary (and hilarious) rivalry – though some might argue it’s more of a bromance.

6. The quality of talent

Year after year, the contestants on The Voice keep getting better, with each season having its standouts. The contestants not only have amazing voices, falsettos and riffs, but many are extremely unique, adding their special touch to conventional songs. Check out an alternative version of Sia’s “Elastic Heart,” a rock rendition of Stevie Nicks’ “Landslide,” and a slowed down acoustic version of Tove Lo’s “Talking Body.”

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell