This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Cornell Cinema is truly one of Cornell’s (not-so) hidden gems. They always have unusual and interesting films, which you may not get to see at Cineamopolis or Regal, in addition to the most recent, popular movies. 

This year, Cornell Cinema is now offering all-access passes: one year of movies! It costs $10 for grad students, $20 for undergrads, and $30 for the general public! 

So grab your all-access pass and some popcorn and go to Cornell Cinema to see some of these exciting upcoming films!

House (Hausu)

Thu, 10/24/2019 – 9:15pm

If you enjoy mysteries, horror, and psychedelic movies, House is the film for you. Cornell Cinema describes it as, “hallucinatory head trip about a schoolgirl who travels with six classmates to her ailing aunt’s creaky country home and comes face-to-face with evil spirits, a demonic house cat, a bloodthirsty piano, and other ghoulish visions, all realized by Ôbayashi via mattes, animation, and collage effects”.

Tazzekka

Wed, 10/30/2019 – 7:00pm 

Thu, 10/31/2019 – 9:00pm

Tazzekka is a part of the Foodie Films Series, Contemporary World Cinema Series, Francophile Series, and Stories of Global Migration Series at Cornell Cinema. “In Jean-Phillipe Guad’s debut feature film, the love and traditions shared and passed down between generations of family is at the center of the story of Elias, a young man born and raised in the Moroccan village of Tazzeka. He learned the art of cooking from his grandmother and has grown up dreaming of making it in the world of cuisine.” (MSP Film Society).

Manta Ray

Wed, 11/06/2019 – 8:15pm

A simple act of kindness between strangers blossoms into something totally foreign and unique in Manta Ray. Centering around the story of a Rohingya refugee that washes up in Thailand, “Manta Ray ponders the concepts of identity and foreignness, and the reluctance to welcome ‘strangers’ into our lives.” (Toronto International Film Festival).

Metropolis

Fri, 11/08/2019 – 7:30pm

Metropolis is a silent, German, sci-fi film from the late 1920s. If you’re looking for something unique and exciting, this is the film for you. Metropolis “went on to become an icon of German cinema and a reference point for many future sci-fi films, including Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner and Tim Burton’s Batman.” (Cornell Cinema). It will be accompanied by a live orchestra as well!

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Thu, 11/14/2019 – 7:00pm

Sat, 11/16/2019 – 7:00pm 

Sun, 11/17/2019 – 7:00pm

I had to include at least one recent movie on this list, and what better film than Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood! Leondardo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, and Brad Pitt star in this already iconic flick, directed by Quentin Tarantino. “The film is nothing less than Tarantino’s magnum opus—a sweeping statement on an entire generation of American popular culture and an almost expressionistic rendering of the counterculture forming at its margins, gradually growing in influence.” (Slant).

Inexistent Time

Wed, 11/20/2019 – 7:00pm

Filmmaker Malena Szlam will be attending this showing of a series of her short films. As Cornell Cinema writes, “her practice explores the relationship between the natural world, perception, and intuitive process. The poetics developed through her time-based works and in-camera edited films engage the material and affective dimensions of analogue film practice.”. Inexistent Time is composed of the following short films: Chronogram of Inexistent Time, Rhythm Trail, Anagrams of Light, Beneath Your Skin of Deep Hollow, Morfología de un sueño, Lunar Almanac, and Altiplano

For a full list of movies at Cornell Cinema this semester, click here! Whether you’re trying out an experimental new film or seeing one of your favorites, take advantage of the cheap prices at my favorite movie theater!

Cornell University, Class of 2021 Mathematics & German Studies Major Just a midwest girl living in an east-coast world!
Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.