Makeshift Sleds for Sledding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Disclaimer: always take proper safety precautions if you decide to go sledding. If possible, wear a protective helmet, and choose a safe location with a clear path and no cars.

Sledding is always a fun winter activity, especially if you’re blessed with snow days! But for those of us who don’t own an actual sled, here are some alternatives that are just as effective.

1. Cardboard box

Cardboard boxes are easy to find, especially if you do a lot of online shopping. If you cover it with a garbage bag and secure it with duct tape, it may help to decrease friction between the box and snow, allowing for more speed. It also prevents the box from getting wet and ultimately disintegrating. If you’re feeling crafty, you can make a more complex sled like the one below (notice the helmets).

2. Lid from a plastic box

The lids from large plastic boxes or trash bins are great for sledding. But beware, intense sledding may cause breakage!

3. Pool toys

Inflatable pool toys like this one work almost as well as a tube for snow tubing. If you’re feeling adventurous, purchase other inflatables like swans or unicorns that have handles on them for added support. If you want to fit more people, use an inflatable kiddie pool. Make sure your path is clear of rocks or else the inflatable may be punctured.

4. Cafeteria trays

I’m not sure which dining halls at Cornell still offer food trays, but if you can get your hands on one, trays are a small but effective sledding vehicle. But please don’t go around taking trays from cafeterias.

5. Yoga mats

Yoga mats are great because they can typically fit more than one person! You can also roll up the front to hold on to.

6. Boogie boards

Usually used for riding ocean waves, boogie boards work just as well in the snow. They often come with handles on either side, and since they are meant for water sports, they’re super fast because the underside is smooth.

7. Trash bag

Probably the most convenient out of all these options is to simply sit in a garbage bag like you would a sleeping bag. I’ve personally never tried this before, but I can imagine that it may result in a painful experience, especially if the bag tears mid-slope.

8. Air mattress

You can probably use any mattress you get your hands on, but air mattresses are particularly great for sledding because they’re usually waterproof. If you don’t have an air mattress, you can attach a tarp underneath a regular one. Though mattresses don’t usually have handles, they will cushion the terrain and absorb impact well, resulting in a smooth sledding experience.

Happy sledding and remember, safety comes first!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell