This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Josh Ernisse
Year: 2014
Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
Hometown: Buffalo, NY
Relationship Status: Single

Favorites:
Book: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
TV Show: Top Gear
Music: alternative, classical, reggae
Food: My dad’s homemade pizza
Class at Cornell: Multivariable Calculus (MATH 1920) and Transition to Java (CS 1130)
Quote: “I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm’s way.” – John Paul Jones

This patriotic stud is only a freshman at Cornell, but as a member of NROTC – that’s N for Navy and ROTC for Reserve Officers’ Training Corps -, he already has the necessary leadership skills and sense of duty to make any man crush-worthy. He joined NROTC because he missed the lifestyle after his dad retired from the Air Force: the commitment to serve his country and defend our freedom has always been a part of Josh’s life. But when he’s not performing his duties as class leader, doing drills or community service in NROTC, Josh can take you sailing or engage you in a rousing game of lacrosse, soccer, or paintball. According to Jenna* ‘12, Josh deserves to be this week’s Cutie because he is “intelligent, buff, disciplined, responsible and goal oriented! Not to mention he’s a fan of being a mile high…” She means that Josh’s favorite thing about his naval career is flying fighter jets! Although it might be safer to keep “joining the ROTC mile high club” off of your Big Red Ambition to-do list, do let your heart take a dive for this dedicated Dare Devil!

Fun Facts:
Why NROTC? My dad was Air Force, and when he retired I missed the lifestyle. I also wanted to serve my country by risking my life defending the freedom that we have. I actually applied to Air Force and Navy ROTC, but the Navy offered me full tuition no questions asked. I respected that and took the Navy scholarship.

Proudest Accomplishment: Earning 10% of the total scholarship money awarded at my school while getting into Cornell and NROTC

How do you spend your summers? I spend as much time at my cottage jet skiing/boating on the St. Lawrence as possible. I also have NROTC training for month during the summer, which involves being active duty on a ship or on land learning about how the Navy works.

What do you look for in a girl? Attractive, intelligent, and a good friend.

Best things about Cornell: The location, difficult classes, and the new friends I’ve made

Which of the 161 Things are you most looking forward to? 17. Go to the Fuertes Observatory on North Campus and gaze at meteor showers

Thoughts on Charlie Sheen? Charlie Sheen is all over the news because he’s a celebrity drug addict, while Andrew Wilfahrt 31, Brian Tabada 21, Rudolph Hizon 22, Chauncy Mays 25, are soldiers who gave their lives with no media attention. There are more important people than Charlie Sheen, a lot more.

Career Prospects: Fly fighter jets in the Navy, then retire from the military and fly into space for a private space flight company. 

*Names have been changed.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.