E-Board Spotlight: Christina Chin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Her Campus Cornell is happy to welcome Christina Chin to out E-Board as our Co-Social Media Chair. Read on to learn more about Christina!

Name: Christina Chin

Year: 2019

Hometown: Saratoga, CA

Major: Applied Economics & Management

Instagram: @christinachin & photography @christinakiara

What do you love about HC?

I’ve always been a big fan of and huge believer in girl power. I love creating captivating content, hearing other’s perspectives, & getting to share mine. The ability to be connected to such a large network of women that have advice on everything from fashion trends to the best songs to listen to while walking to class to updates on current events is awe-inspiring. I also have friends from colleges across the country writing articles and sharing them with me and I couldn’t think of a better way to stay connected.

What else are you involved in on campus?

Cornell University Food Marketing Fellows, Dyson Inclusion & Diversity Club, Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, & artist and administrative assistant for West Campus

Favorite place to eat on campus: Mac’s Cafe (#flatbreadfanatic)

Tell us more about your interest in photography: ​My love for photography started when people began telling me that photos I had taken of them truly captured their personalities. I love working with people to help capture their memories in a way they desire, as well as the challenge of trying to convey the essence of things through images. Images are able to transcend language, socio-economic, and many other barriers, and people can instantly connect to them on an emotional level. I want to be a visual storyteller and provide photographs that speak to people and their human experience.

Since I have moved across the country for college and am far from my other homes, west coast friends, and family, photographs have become extremely meaningful to me. I’m able to look back at them and transport myself back to the exact moment I pressed the shutter release button – from afternoons getting lost in the city with friends to spontaneous trips to the coast watching the sunset paint the sky orange over the ocean.

I haven’t had formal photography training so my photos have all been captured in the moment based on what I was feeling & how I thought they should be framed, not on the rule of thirds and symmetry. I aim for my photos to be authentic and genuine. My photography journey is just beginning & so far I’ve helped shoot for food blogs & companies, events including the stars of Broad City & the Adidas Global Entertainment and Influencer Marketing Executive Jon Wexler who created the Yeezy with Kanye, and last semester I had my first gallery feature on campus.

What are your favorite things to photograph?

People the moment when their eyes light up because they are doing or thinking about something they love.

Can you show us a favorite photo that you’ve taken?

Couldn’t choose just one sorry!

Has social media changed us for the better or for the worse?

My friend Hannah at HC UW actually wrote an article on this exact topic & I couldn’t agree with her more: https://www.hercampus.com/school/washington/in-defense-of-instagram

How would you describe your social media (Insta) aesthetic?

West coast girl in an East coast world

What inspires you?

I’m inspired by people who are kind without reason, unashamedly tell the truth, & remind their friends that they love them. I admire people who shatter expectations and follow their dreams.

Thanks for sharing, Christina – we’re so happy to have you on board!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell