Confessions of a Hopeless Romantic: The Call

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

He said he’d call you and he didn’t. So, what do you do?

For many traditional collegiettes™, waiting for him to call is the only option. Personally, I’d like to think I’m as much a feminist as the next independent young woman, but when it comes to relationships I am fairly traditional too. So, when a guy says “I’ll call you tomorrow,” I expect him to call me! So, though I admit I’ve broken my Never-Text-The-Guy-First Rule a few times, I hate being the first to make the move. I want the guy to take the initiative and let me know he’s thinking of me too.

“If I get a girl’s number and I like her, I text her the next day,” Dan ’14 said.

But don’t think that just girls like being texted first, guys like to get the “thinking of you” text too. Dan also advises, “If you like a guy, text him. It will be fairly easy to tell if he’s into it based on whether he carries on the conversation.”

If guys don’t text the girl right away because of the infamous 3-Day Rule (wait three days until you call), then boys, let me fill you in on something: we girls don’t like to wait around. So, if you expect us to, you might be surprised. If a collegiette™  is confident in herself, she’ll realize that she shouldn’t have to wait for some guy to call her because there are probably a dozen other guys who are interested in her who wouldn’t play games with her.

But it’s not so easy to realize this. I’ve been the girl who waits around for the guy to call, constantly checking her phone, and let me tell you, it sucks.

“I say it’s great when the guy makes the first move because it saves us girls a lot of worrying,” Allisa ’13 says. “At the same time, I get that guys have to go through the same feelings as we do, but it would be nice. I guess I just like the idea of wooing a girl like they used to in the past.”

I don’t think we should be getting off the hook so easily either. It’s so easy for us to blame everything on the guys (now wouldn’t that make life so much better?), but we aren’t mute in this matter. We could just as easily pick up the phone and make “The Call.” I mean how hard can it be? Contacts —> [boy’s name] —> SEND —> wait until he says hello —> talk.

Hmm … I don’t know about you, but that scares me to death. For some reason, talking to the guy I like on the phone is a scary endeavor. Flirting while texting? Pssh. Child’s play. Actually talking to him? Now that is plain scary.

But despite my fears, today I finally texted “The Boy.” I know I said before I like a guy who makes the move first, so I have the Never-Text-The-Guy-First Rule. But I’ve realized that sometimes you just need to cut the guy a little slack and text him first because you never know if he was just waiting for you to make the first move. Apparently some guys really dig that. And, if he was just being pompous and following the silly 3-Day Rule, at least you proved that you have enough confidence to make the first move. You go girl!

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.