Casey Sweeney ’13: The Working World’s Wonder Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

What’s your passion? There are few things more inspiring than hearing someone else spill about what moves her to be her best – and listening to Casey Sweeney ’13 speak about her passions is a truly moving experience. Are you ready to be inspired?

The first need-to-know about Casey is that she puts those pesky “ILRies do no work” rumors to rest – an active participant in the labor rights arena, Casey has been working with the Cornell Organization for Labor Action (COLA) and the United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) groups on campus since she was a freshman. Her passion for social justice has built her quite an impressive resume: this ILR award winner and Cornell Tradition Fellow has “worked out for workers’ rights” and helped cut a contract with Nike! Well-rounded and a true Cornell it-girl, Casey is also a member of the Class of 2013 Convocation Committee and a sister of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Casey has “worked out for workers’ rights,” among other accomplishments on campus.

Casey wasn’t always interested in labor – she says, “I grew up always wanting to find a way to help people, and for a while, I just thought that meant I would go to law school. I seriously said, ‘The only way you could make a difference is with a law degree.’” However, Casey has proved that undergrads are just as capable of making a difference for people in need. Her involvement in COLA and USAS has taken her to conferences in Tennessee, the Alta Gracia factory in the Dominican Republic, and even to Dublin, where she was a full-time intern and worked diligently with the Communications Workers’ Union last semester.

Though not many young people are familiar with the world of labor rights, Casey believes the issues going on in labor are particularly pertinent to the Her Campus reader. She says, “I very much see workers’ rights as a women’s rights issue, and that is part of why I am so passionate about labor. The majority of low-wage workers are women, and women are often the most exploited on the job. When I organize on campus in solidarity with garment workers in Indonesia or with dining hall workers in the U.S., I’m most inspired by the women in the movement who are empowered to come together and speak up for better conditions for themselves and their families. I think looking at labor through that lens makes the movement even more relatable and I think it’s really important for more young women to become more involved.”

“As women at Cornell who are incredibly determined and talented, we can be really hard on ourselves, and sometimes you just have to think about all of the things you’ve accomplished and be happy about them!”

All of that amazing work is enough to make any collegiette feel a little stressed! Casey makes sure to find balance in all aspects of her life and says, “The biggest thing for me when I’m feeling run down or burnt out is to make sure I find the time to watch crappy TV, make nice dinners, and go out and have fun.” A self-described “hyper-optimist,” Casey recommends that you, HC reader, take the time to “celebrate your victories” and to appreciate your talents – “I think that in situations that are new and scary, the feeling of excitement can overcome any of the fear or disappointment. You just have to be able to change your perspective and look at the positive and get pumped about it! As women at Cornell who are incredibly determined and talented, we can be really hard on ourselves, and sometimes you just have to think about all of the things you’ve accomplished and be happy about them!” It’s clear that with her optimistic outlook and take charge attitude, Casey will continue to be an inspiration to Cornell women (and women in general!) in any path she pursues. So how about you, collegiette? Who knows – you just might be our next Campus Celebrity!

Casey spends time in Barcelona with other ILR-ies

Just the Facts
Hometown: Merrick, NY
Favorite class: ILRIC 2350: Work, Labor and Capital in the Global Economy. “The class takes a really comprehensive look at the history and effects of globalization on migration, financial systems, and workers around the world. Highly recommended!”
Favorite movie of all time: “So tough! I think I have to say (500) Days of Summer.”
Choice Ithaca hotspot: “Definitely our porch on College Ave in the summertime.”
Favorite campus eatery: “I usually rotate between Statler and Trillium.”
Future plans: “Hopefully continue organizing for unions and community groups around social justice – and hopefully not law school.”
Biggest difference between Cornell and Ireland: “Since I was on a credit internship, I worked full-time and didn’t take any classes, so that would have to be the most drastic difference.”
Best memory at Cornell: “It’s a tie between getting word from President Skorton that Cornell had threatened to cut its lucrative contract with Nike over labor rights abuses in Honduras after we took action during Spring 2010, and the time I got locked in the lovely basement of Catherwood Library…caged in and all, Arthur-style.”
Favorite part about going abroad: “Getting to live and work abroad has given me a ton of insight into another country’s culture and has really broadened my perspective, especially in terms of building a truly global labor movement. Getting to pop around all over Europe isn’t too bad either, and I certainly don’t mind a nice Irish pub.”
What should people our age know about labor in the U.S.? “I think for young people, just knowing the purpose of a union is incredibly important, beyond how they are portrayed in the media, and especially since for a lot of us, unions were never a part of our lives growing up. It’s not about strikes or causing budget deficits or lazy workers who can’t get fired. A union is a group of workers coming together to strengthen their voice in their workplace by getting a seat at the table with management. It’s a movement that is about dignity, respect, and a decent living for all working people, and I think at the end of the day, we’re all working people.”

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.