A Bitter Girl’s Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

We’ve all been there before. That really cute guy you met last night never texted you back, your boyfriend is acting like a jerk, or maybe you’re just in the mood to jam out to some super angsty music. Either way, here’s a list of some cliche bitter songs from a playlist I made for my friend who recently went through a hard break-up (here’s the full Spotify playlist). So plug in some headphones, put your bitch face on, and get ready to feel all the feels.

1. “Don’t Wish” by Tonight Alive

Noteworthy Lyrics: “I won’t be the one you call when everyone is gone. And when you treat her wrong just don’t go wishing she was me.”

2. “Ugly Heart” by G.R.L.

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Maybe you know more than me, but this much is true. This little heart and brain of mine say we’re through with you.”

3. “H8 U” by Liz Huett

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Are you gonna make her split the check, like on our first date two years ago? You don’t have to tell me. I know that I’m petty.”

4. “Liar” by Britney Spears

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Baby talk, talk, talk; keep on lying through your teeth. You know I know…that you’re a liar, liar.”

5. “You’re Such A” by Hailee Steinfeld

Noteworthy Lyrics: “And if you’re all that’s left when the whole world ends no I still don’t want to hear it anymore.”

6. “You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Well, you said that we made such a pretty pair and that you would never leave. But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me.”

7. “Undo It” by Carrie Underwood

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Now you only have yourself to blame for playing all those stupid games. You’re always gonna be the same; you’ll never change.”

8. “Gives You Hell” by The All-American Rejects

Noteworthy Lyrics: “And truth be told, I miss you. And truth be told, I’m lying.”

9. “I Look So Good (Without You)” by Jessie James

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Ain’t biting my nails since you walked out of that door. I realize now I deserve so much more than what you give.”

10. “According to You” by Orianthi

Noteworthy Lyrics: “Everything is opposite. I don’t feel like stopping it. So baby tell me what I got to lose. He’s into me for everything I’m not, according to you.”

11. “Don’t” by Ed Sheeran

Noteworthy Lyrics: “And I wasn’t looking for a promise or commitment. But it was never just fun, and I thought you were different.”

12. “Potential” by Danielle Bradbery

Noteworthy Lyrics: “I could tell myself you’ll get there, hang in there. But honestly now, I’m beginning to understand that I’m not in love with you…I’m in love with your potential.”

Happy listening!

Sophomore studying Food Science at Cornell University.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell