Best and Worst Super Bowl Commercials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Super Bowl LII made history as the Eagles won the Super Bowl for the first time in their history. Even more exciting than the Super Bowl, however, are the commercials that accompany it. Here are my favorites and least favorites of the night.

Best:

1. Amazon Alexa

This commercial features several celebrities filling in for Alexa after she loses her voice, and it’s super funny and creative. My favorite part, as a huge Silence of the Lambs fan, was the Anthony Hopkins cameo.

2. Tide

In an ingenious marketing strategy, in its first commercial of the night, Tide introduced the idea that every commercial could be a Tide commercial, because all the clothes are stain free. This left viewers wondering whether or not each advertisement would turn into a Tide commercial. Tide continued the joke with its other commercials throughout the night.

3. M&Ms

This commercial is just so cute – the red M&M turns into a human, played by Danny Devito. It’s short, to-the-point and quite creative.

4. NBC Sports – Lindsey Vonn

For purely sentimental value, I think this commercial is extremely successful. Tracking Lindsey Vonn’s journey as a skier with home videos and clips from her biggest moments in competitions gets me really excited for the upcoming Winter Olympics.

5. Sprint

Who can resist a commercial featuring sassy robots? This advertisement is clear and direct in its messaging while still being funny and entertaining. It’s probably my personal favorite out of all this year’s commercials.

Worst:

1. Ram Trucks

Using a speech by Martin Luther King Jr. to sell cars? Not only is it offensive (the speech is taken entirely out of context), but it’s also confusing. This commercial is receiving widespread criticism and for good reason.

2. Bud Light

Some people might find this ad entertaining, but I’m really not a fan of Bud Light’s “Dilly Dilly” commercial, so this continuation of it just feels overdone. It’s pretty boring and not funny.

3. Groupon

This commercial seemed to have so much potential, because Tiffany Haddish is amazing and hilarious. However, the commercial is poorly written, and its attempt at a joke falls flat.

4. Diet Coke – Twisted Mango

Diet Coke’s commercial for one of their new flavors makes me uncomfortable to watch. If that was the point, it served its purpose, but it definitely doesn’t make me want to buy Twisted Mango Diet Coke.

5. T-Mobile

Why are they using babies on a blanket to sell T-Mobile? This commercial is so confusing and poorly done that it may be the worst of the night entrepreneurially speaking, simply because it doesn’t seem to try to sell T-Mobile at all.

While these are my best and worst of the night, there were plenty more interesting commercials during the Super Bowl, so go check them all out for yourself!

Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell