Audiobooks for the Go!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

I think it’s pretty much a universal truth that we’re all super busy all the time during the semester. This doesn’t leave much room for doing fun, relaxing activities and hobbies. One of my favorite things to do is read, but I know a lot of people find it impossible to fit fun reading into their schedules on top of all the readings required for their classes. One way I’ve managed to balance my school work with my love of reading is through audiobooks!

Every morning as I walk up Libe Slope, I pop my headphones into my phone, click on my OverDrive app, and start listening to my current read. Audiobooks are super easy to access through OverDrive, which connects to your library account. Most libraries provide online access to tons of audiobooks and ebooks for their patrons. You can also access multiple accounts on the free app, including your home library, the Cornell University library (log in using your netID!), and the Tompkins County Public Library.

I’ve chosen a list of some audiobooks that I’ve found really captivating, not only because the stories are interesting, but also because the experience of listening to the actors read the stories makes it even better. All of these audiobooks are accessible through the Tompkins County Public Library OverDrive site, which is connected to the Finger Lakes Library System. If you don’t already have a library card for this local library, you can go visit them in the Commons anytime (they’re right next to Urban Outfitters!), and they can set you up with a free library card and account in just a few minutes. Then, once you download the OverDrive app, you can listen to audiobooks on your phone on the walk between your classes, incorporating some much-deserved, relaxing reading time into your day.

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Read by Lin-Manuel Miranda

If you’ve memorized every song on the Hamilton soundtrack, you’ll probably want to give this audiobook a listen, because you might just recognize the narrator’s voice. Yes, that’s right, it is narrated by THE Lin-Manuel Miranda. The novel itself is a heartwarming story about two Mexican-American boys in 1987 who develop a deep friendship and love for one another that shapes their lives.

2. Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Read by Rebecca Lowman

Rainbow Rowell is the super talented author of many adult contemporary and young adult books, including Fangirl and Eleanor and Park. Her novel Landline follows the story of a comedy TV writer who is struggling in her relationship with her husband. One day, she discovers she can communicate with a past version of her husband through an old-fashioned landline phone. This heartfelt contemporary story of love and nostalgia is especially effective through the audiobook form, because the plot of the book is based around phone calls. As a reader, you’re able to listen to the calls as if you were on the other end of the mysterious landline phone.

3. Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Read by Jenny Lawson

Comedic journalist and blogger Jenny Lawson narrates the audiobooks for her own memoirs, both Let’s Pretend this Never Happened and Furiously Happy. She’s absolutely hilarious, and her narration really shows her personality. Furiously Happy (yes, that’s a crazed looking raccoon on the cover) is the kind of book that will make you start laughing out loud in the middle of Olin Library, and you won’t even be embarrassed about it because you’ll be too focused on trying not to cry from all the hilarity that ensues.

4. The Circle by Dave Eggers

Read by Dion Graham

The Circle is about a new employee at an insanely influential internet company that’s basically taking over the world and taking everyone’s privacy along with it. The premise of this novel feels scarily probable within the not-too-distant future. I found it really engrossing to listen to all the thoughts and stats the protagonist considers every time she posts a picture and starts going through likes and comments for posts. Social media addicts will be able to relate.

5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Read by David Baker and Full Cast Audio

Graceling is the first book in a young adult fantasy trilogy. The author Kristin Cashore built an interesting, expansive world, so it’s especially fitting that this novel has a full cast of narrators for the audiobook. Each character gets their own actor, and this form of narration really lets the theatrical side of the audiobook production shine.

I hope some of these recommendations have sparked your interests and made you consider diving deep into the abyss of audiobook listening. Soon enough you’ll be so engrossed in your current read that you won’t even dwell on your morning commute up the slope until you’re already at the top.

Happy listening!

Kelly Stone

Cornell '20

Kelly is a Senior Communication major at Cornell University with minors in Creative Writing and Information Science. She loves reading, writing, fashion, and her dogs.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell