6 Signs You Go To Cornell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

1. You say “prelim” instead of “midterm”

Some may say that the unique word to describe an exam seems elitist, whereas other may say it allows for a more liberal use in contrast with “midterm” (prelims can be at any point in the semester). With that being said, save yourself the weird glances and accept that in the world of Cornell, a test is called a prelim.

2. You love to complain about the weather

Whether the weather (pun intended) it is too hot or too cold, Cornellians always find a way to express their hatred of the oscillating temperatures that characterize Ithaca’s microclimate. It’s true there are no seasons at Cornell,  just one month of t-shirt temperatures that immediately transition into a glacial (consider both its connotations) winter for the rest of the school year.

3. You love to complain even more about walking

Immediately following a snarky remark about the inconsistent weather is usually a comment on the haphazard terrain that is Cornell University’s campus. Popular topics within this realm are: distance from one building to another, quantity of stairs, lack of pathway lighting, ascending Libe Slope, descending Libe Slope and the absence of flat surfaces.

4. You care more about hockey than football

Move aside, football! At Cornell, football still exists but doesn’t get nearly the caliber of hype the Big Red hockey team receives. On a regular game night, you will see many season ticket holders making a big (and very red) migration to Lynah Rink. Some fun hockey traditions: throwing fish on the ice for the Harvard game and toothpaste for the Colgate game.

5. You know how to layer

If there’s anything Cornell students know how to do better than studying, it’s dressing weather appropriate for the endless winter. You’ve learned how to easily pull on your fourth pair of leggings and grown accustomed to having to take off 10 jackets before class. 100 layer challenge? Bring. It. On.

6. You’ve mastered the art of walking on ice

After days upon days of icy conditions, Cornellians have developed an impeccable sense of balance. Though first semester of freshman year may have roughed you up, slipping and sliding have no longer become an issue.

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell