5 Things To Do In Ithaca This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Fall is finally here, which means it’s the perfect time to throw on your coziest outfit and enjoy the crisp weather and changing leaves with your friends. Here are five ways to kick off one of the best seasons of the year in Ithaca!

1. Apple picking

Apple picking is guaranteed to be a fun time. Whether you’re that person who can’t help but run up and down the seemingly infinite rows of trees or the one who would rather stroll and talk while picking the best apples, local orchards like Indian Creek Farm are the place to be this fall. Don’t forget to take pictures!

2. Baking

Whether using a dorm kitchen or hanging out in someone’s apartment, let the good times roll by throwing a baking party! There are tons of yummy dessert recipes out there just waiting to be made, featuring autumnal ingredients like apples, pumpkins, cinnamon, caramel, and many more.

3. Hiking

Is your whole squad in need of a study break? Explore Ithaca’s gorge-ous (pun intended) scenery and fall foliage. Even a short 20-minute walk into Cascadilla Gorge near Collegetown can do wonders for the soul. Slightly farther out, Taughannock Falls and Buttermilk Falls State Parks offer even more opportunities for adventure.

4. Thrifting

Looking to make your own unique Halloween costume? Need some cool furniture or decorations for your apartment? Do you just not own enough sweaters to make it through the fall? You never know what you’ll find when you go thrift shopping, and trying on clothes and finding hidden gems is (practically) free entertainment.

5. Local events

Apple Fest may be over, but that doesn’t mean the fall festivities stop in Ithaca and beyond. Why not check out a few of Ithaca’s local events and step outside of the Cornell bubble? If you’re already hype for Halloween, Wizarding Weekend is coming up at the end of October, and of course you can always take a trip to the Ithaca Farmers Market!

Marinna C

Cornell '21

Good music, good food, good art.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell