5 Pick-Me-Up Quotes For When You’ve Had a Rough Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If you’ve ever watched Inside Out or, you know, just lived life in general, you know as good as life gets, the bad days are inevitable. If you’ve had a rough day (or maybe a rough week) here are five super cliche and cheesy quotes I hope will make you smile.

1.  “At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.” – Lemony Snicket

Nobody can say it better than the author of everyone’s favorite book series. If you’re going through a rough patch, don’t stress; you might just be working your way to the start of something great.

2. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

You’re an amazing person with the capability to do so many awesome things. Just focus on yourself and what you can do. Everything else is just background noise.

3. “We all have slow days, off days, days we feel tired or uninspired, but they are nothing to concern yourself with. Like an ocean the stillness is just another of our natural states. Soon the winds will pick up, the waves will rise, and your imagination will flow again.” – Beau Taplin

With prelim season in full force, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed or burnt out. If you’re finding yourself in an unmotivated, defeated rut, don’t worry. Things are bound to look up soon!

4. “If you carry one thing with you today, let it be this: you are smart, you are beautiful, and you are loved.” – Unknown

Just in case no one told you this today. You should always know your worth and that there is someone out there who cares.

5. “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” – Anne of Green Gables

If all else fails, at least you know tomorrow is a new day with the potential for so many opportunities. Today might have been bad, but just remember there’s the possibility that tomorrow might be great.

Hopefully these quotes were able to make you feel a little better. Sending you lots of luck and virtual hugs during this prelim season!

Sophomore studying Food Science at Cornell University.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell