4 Reasons Drop Dead Diva is an Underrated Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Drop Dead Diva is a comedy series about a model who dies in a car accident, after which her soul ends up in the body of Jane, an intelligent and charismatic plus-sized attorney. The show ran from 2009-2014, but you can now watch all six seasons on Netflix. Here are four reasons Drop Dead Diva is totally underrated.

1. Body Positivity

Instead of having the stereotypical skinny blonde as the protagonist, the story normalizes having a plus-size main character, while portraying her as an assertive, smart and all-around amazing top lawyer with a great fashion sense!

2. Celebrity Guest Characters

The show had SO many celebrity appearances: Kim Kardashian, Maddie Ziegler, Abby Lee Miller, Paula Abdul, Tim Gunn, Joan Rivers and so many more!

3. Girl Power

Not only is Jane a lawyer, she is one of the BEST at her job. Sure Parker was managing partner in the beginning of the show, but by the end, there were two female partners, Kim and Jane (yes, of course she made partner!)

4. Musical Episodes

All the musical episodes! Not only is Jane Bingum an awesome lawyer, she’s also got some serious pipes!

What are you waiting for? Start binging Drop Dead Diva on Netflix ASAP!

Sophomore at Cornell University. Her favorite things include coffee, Her Campus(obviously) and her cat, Finland!
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell