4 New Songs to Check Out This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

1. “Look What You Made Me Do” by Taylor Swift

Say what you want about Taylor Swift, but her new, edgy pop song has been stuck in my head all week. If you’ve ever been wronged by someone (who hasn’t?), crank the volume up in your car and play this song on repeat. Check out the music video too. It has a ton of references to the old Taylor, who can’t pick up the phone right now, because she’s dead.

2. “Basket Case” by Bastille

If you’re a Green Day fan, you’ve probably heard their original version of this song, but in my opinion, this version is even better. Bastille has slowed the song down and backed the melody with heavy strings, which perfectly captures the feelings evoked by the lyrics of the song.

3. “Summers & Winters” by Andreas Moe

This song couples gorgeous orchestration with amazing lyrics. It’s super emotional; Andreas Moe has so much depth and feeling in his singing. This song probably won’t be on the Billboard Top 100, but it definitely deserves a listen.

4. “What Lovers Do” by Maroon 5 (feat. SZA)

I’m just slightly obsessed with Maroon 5 (specifically Adam Levine’s falsetto), so this song has had me tapping my toes all week. This the perfect song to listen to while dancing around your room. It might not have a ton of lyrical substance, but its irresistible groove more than makes up for that.

What are you waiting for? Get jamming!

Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell