4 Alternatives to a PSL Driven World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If you don’t know what PSL stands for, you’ve been living under a rock.

In recent years, pumpkin spice lattes (or really, pumpkin spice anything) have been ubiquitous with the fall season. I don’t hate the spice blend, but let’s be honest – it’s getting old. This fall, play around with different drink orders, and even better, save some money by DIY’ing your favorite flavors!

1. Simple Maple Latte from Fox and Briar

Maple lattes are apparently huge in Vermont, and it’s time to bring them to Ithaca. Imagine a nice creamy coffee drink with notes of nutmeg and the subtle sweetness of maple syrup. Super easy to make and definitely perfect for cold, rainy fall days.

2. Tahini Hot Chocolate from My Name is Yeh

Tahini paste has been all the rage this past year for its health benefits and versatility (think: from desserts to asian dinner courses). Adding a little tahini to your hot chocolate, as well as a little cinnamon and coconut milk, will transform it into the perfect fall drink.

3. Salted Caramel Apple Cider from Kitchen Meets Girl

This drink only looks complicated – all you really need is store bought apple cider, sea salt, heavy whipped cream, a can of whipped cream and caramel sauce.. The result? A creamy rendition of a well-known classic that can be easily made, even on your laziest days.

4. Bulletproof Matcha Latte from Lee from America

Okay, so this drink doesn’t have any of the classic spices or typical makings of a fall drink, but its creaminess and health benefits make it a great alternative if you’re getting sick of the same old same old. This recipe calls for a lot of fancy-sounding ingredients, but honestly, the key to a great matcha latte is adding coconut oil or ghee, which enhances the flavor of the matcha powder.

PSL will always be a “fall thing,” but with so many drink options out there, try exploring and finding new favorites!

Cornell University 2021 | Psychology and Music IG: @alisonn_h Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/alisonn_h/pins/
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell