10 Must-Have Kitchen Items for All College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Are you living off-campus this year? Are you struggling to sustain yourself and buying take-out every night? Are you scared of the kitchen? To make college-cooking easier, here’s a list of kitchen essentials all college students should have at hand.

1. A pairing knife and a “bigger one”

Don’t just settle on one knife, trust me. There’s nothing scarier than trying to peel an apple with a massive blade and nothing harder than trying to crack open a watermelon with a baby knife. A pairing knife is versatile/safe for cutting small produce, while a big knife can effectively cut through anything large or hard.

2. Two-cutting boards – one for meat, one for everything else

You may be asking, why can’t I just get one cutting board? But the answer is simple – it’s better to be safe than sorry. There are many dangers to cross-contamination of raw meat, particularly chicken. Having two separate cutting boards reduces that risk, especially since cutting boards can trap bacteria. I recommend getting two different colored ones so you know which one’s which.

3. A colander

You might not recognize its name, but a colander is a bowl with many holes in it. If you plan on eating pasta, vegetables, or fruit at any point, a colander is a must to drain the water out of pasta and wash fresh produce.

4. Baking soda

Baking soda is a must-have for baking. More importantly, it helps to remove odor from your fridge caused by lingering foods that can seep into other things you have sitting in there. Just open a box of baking soda and leave it in the corner of your fridge.

5. Corn starch

Corn starch can be used as a coating for frying meat and tofu, but it’s also an effective thickening agent for sauces.

6. A Magic Bullet or equivalent

When you’re living in college, practicality is extremely important. The Magic Bullet is great, because it allows you to make one serving to-go smoothies and saves a lot of washing! Most infomercial products are useless, but I can promise you the Magic Bullet is not!

7. Brita water pitcher

It’s important to stay hydrated, but living off-campus means it’s difficult to have access to water fountains. Since it’s not safe to drink tap water, and bottled water is bad for the environment, Brita filters are a simple gadget to have clean water all the time. They’re super easy to use, but you have to remember to change the filter every so often.

8. A meat thermometer

Raw meat is one of the hardest foods to cook to perfection. Especially with meat like chicken and pork, consuming undercooked meat can lead to serious health consequences. To get that perfect doneness, invest in a meat thermometer so that you can know exactly when to take your food off the stove/out of the oven. Cooking temperatures for each type of meat can be found here.

9. Plastic baggies and plastic wrap

Though not the most eco-friendly, plastic baggies and plastic wrap are essential to college cooking. Baggies allow you to marinate/coat ingredients and keep produce fresh. Plastic wrap is perfect for covering leftovers.

10. Dishcloths

Dishcloths may not be as effective as sponges for washing the dishes, but they’re great for wiping down dirty countertops and stovetops. If you find your cutting board slips while you’re chopping, wet a dishcloth and lie it flat under the board to prevent slippage. If you’re struggling to open a twist bottle, use a wet dishcloth to make it easier. They come in many colors and designs!

Happy cooking!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell