This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Fall is ending, winter is around the corner, and Scoripo season is upon us. It’s time for a closet revamp and shopping secondhand is the way to go. Fast fashion is constantly at our fingertips, which leads to overconsumption with pieces only lasting a year if not months, begging you, the customer, to buy more. This overconsumption is leading to irreparable harm against our environment. Shopping secondhand does not mean you have to compromise your style, though. In fact, thrifting and shopping vintage allows you to find more unique pieces for your closet plus it is much more sustainable–it’s a win-win! Although thrifting can sometimes be overwhelming and time consuming, here are some tips I have picked up to find those hidden gems:

B R A I N S T O R M !

Before you even get into the car, make a mental list, or a physical one, of some items you are looking for. Scroll through Pinterest for some pieces you have been wanting to add to your closet. This helps the racks of clothes become a little more manageable since you have more of an idea of the pieces you want to find. This is not to say you should limit yourself to your list–half the fun is experimenting with new styles–but having this guide will help you start.

F I N D   Y O U R   C O L O R 

When it comes to clothing, we are constantly drawn to colors and textures that fit who we are, even if we do not notice it. Use this to your advantage when you go thrifting. This is your superpower! If you see a hint of that color you love, that is the place on the rack to start.

T I M E   I S   Y O U R   B E S T I E !

Take your time! Rushing through will guarantee that you won’t find that perfect oversized sweater or knee high boot. So, put in some headphones, listen to music, and allow yourself time to find that diamond in the rough!

L E A V E   N O   L E A F   U N T U R N E D

There are no rules when it comes to where you can look. Whether it be the men’s, women’s, or kids section, look through every department! The sleepwear section is where you can find the best slip dresses and silk camis to dress up for a night out, the work-out section holds the best track pants for your everyday style, and the kids department is where you can find the perfect baby tees. Don’t be fooled by labels–thrifting is all about giving these pieces a second life and styling them in a way that is you.

G E T   C R A F T Y

If you found a piece that you love but doesn’t quite fit you or your style, don’t leave it behind! There are so many easy DIYs that you can make out of your thrifting finds. An easy crop or a sew of a button can go a long way. Use your imagination to see how you can repurpose the items you find.

*Depop and ThreadUp are also great online alternatives and many of these tips still hold true for online secondhand shopping!

Sophie Zakin

Conn Coll '24

Sophie Zakin is a junior at Conn from Providence, Rhode Island. She is a sociology major with a concentration in fashion and an English minor. She enjoys writing about fashion, lifestyle, and food. In her free time, she loves to travel, spend time outside, and try new restaurants with friends.