Yik Yak: The Pros and Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Social media is inevitably consuming our generation. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, the list goes on. What appears to be the newest trend is Yik Yak, an application that provides an anonymous, virtual bulletin board for users in close proximity to each other. It is often informally referred to as an “anonymous twitter” for college students. The following description is used to advertise Yik Yak on the App Store: “Create quality content and receive upvotes from other members of your community. Be engaged in your community and help decide what’s the best through upvotes and downvotes.” The question is, is being a devoted user of this app actually engaging one in the community in a positive manner? Here are a few of the pros and cons of the new Yik Yak epidemic that aim to answer this question.

Pro: So Far, It’s All in Good Fun

Like most popular social media apps in their early stages, Yik Yak has provided an overall positive experience for its users (at the very least, at Connecticut College). Kim*, a student at Conn, shared her thoughts: “To me, Yik Yak seems more like a place for Conn students to commiserate and complain about certain issues they can all relate to or to post a witty joke or comment and see how many likes it can get, without the pressure of having a name attached to it.” In other words, so far, Yik Yak has shown to be a low-stress way to relate to other students on campus.

Con: It Has the Potential for Bullying

Despite the positive use of Yik Yak at Connecticut College thus far, it is the potential within this app that is alarming. For instance, though Kim noted Yik Yak’s ability for students to commiserate with humor, she also said that the “lack of accountability can also be dangerous.” Jessica*, another student at Conn explained, “So far I haven’t seen any [yaks] about specific people which I think is good. Once people start name dropping and saying rude things, I would stop using it. It should be fun and not used to bully people.” Yik Yak has a clear potential for bullying, as does all social media. Some college students are actually expecting Yik Yak to take a turn for the worse, as if it is inevitable due to the anonymity. As Conn student Sarah* explained, “Yik Yak is the perfect anonymous social media where people can say exactly what they want without that guilty feeling.” Though some may view this absence of guilt as a pro, it is certainly a con when considering the overall negative impact on students that could result from this app’s anonymous feature.

Pro: The Creators Are Trying to Prevent Bullying

Just as “yakers” are wary of the possible negativity that may seep into the virtual world of Yik Yak, the creators of the app are just as cautious. There is a list of “Rules & Info” on the app mainly focused on guidelines against bullying. For instance, one rule reads, “Don’t clutter people’s feeds with useless or offensive yaks. If you see a useless or offensive yak, make sure you do your part by downvoting or reporting it.” This rule, in addition to the rest of the rules posted, demonstrates that the people in charge of Yik Yak are, in fact, making efforts to keep this app positive by emphasizing the importance of “quality content.” 

Con: It May be Just a Fad

The world of social media maintains its few apps that users never seem to get sick of. Nevertheless, there are hundreds of social media applications created every year that do not stick, or never become popular enough to catch on. In the case of Yik Yak, students are not only pessimistic about the nature of the yaks being posted, but about the overall future of the app. When asked her opinion on the future of Yik Yak, one student named Brittany* confidently stated, “I think it will slowly fade away.” Brad*, another student, explained, “I think it’s the next big thing, and eventually it’s going to lose its heat and die down. It’s just something new that people are flocking to, and I can’t see that it stays too long.” So, will Yik Yak be the next Facebook or Twitter? Or are Brittany and Brad right in their hypotheses?

Pro: It’s Preferred over ConnColl Confessional

The fear of bullying is clearly a prominent discussion among students regarding Yik Yak. At the same time, when put in comparison to its competitors, Yik Yak is actually perceived as a more positive experience. Specifically, it’s most direct competitor is “ConnColl Confessional,” a website in which students post anonymous statements (and replies) about campus; it is infamously known as an outlet for brutal honestly. Kim, the same student from above (who both enjoys the app yet fears it’s lack of accountability) also expressed, “Compared to what I used to see when ConnColl Confessional was bigger, Yik Yak is actually much more civil and almost has a kind of aspect of community building, whereas ConnColl Confessional had a lot more name dropping and mean-spirited comments on it.”  Therefore, not only does Kim think that Yik Yak has a more positive, virtual environment than ConnColl Confessional, but she implies that ConnColl Confessional is no longer a popular site. This comparison of Yik Yak to ConnColl Confessional helps students to perceive Yik Yak in a better light, so to speak.

Con: What Professionals Have to Say

Dr. Keith Ablow is the author of “Psychiatrist’s view: Yik Yak is most dangerous app I’ve ever seen,” an unswerving article published on foxnews.com regarding the danger of Yik Yak (see link below). Ablow made the point that “anyone using Yik Yak can turn a school into a virtual chat room where everyone can post his or her comments, anonymously.  Untruthful, mean, character-assassinating short messages are immediately seen by all users in a specific geographic area.” Furthermore, Dr. Ablow’s article discusses the disruption that Yik Yak has caused in schools, including dangerous threats of school shootings. Though the app may be in it’s earlier, nicer stages at Connecticut College, according to this article, that is certainly not the case in all areas of the country.

Depending on your stance, Yik Yak may be good or bad for the Connecticut College community, among other colleges and universities. However, perhaps the true issue does not lie in Yik Yak itself, but the overall nature of our generation’s consumption in social media.  

*Names have been changed

Link to Dr. Keith Ablow’s Article: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/09/psychiatrist-view-yik-yak-is-most-dangerous-app-ive-ever-seen/

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll