This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s that time again! This week’s writer profile features Mary Sherwin, our Her Campus social media director. She is a junior, majoring in Sociology and a member of the Cities and Schools Pathway. Keep reading to see how Mary offers insight on her wide range of interests from fashion to criminology to social work. 

First, let’s talk about your life at Conn. 

What is your animating question for the Cities and Schools Pathway?

My animating question has hit a couple road bumps. The theme of my question is what makes a Catholic school shut down. I wanted to research Catholic schools in the New London area, but many of them would not work with me. So now I am taking a step back and seeing what I can learn through my abroad experience next semester.

What organizations and clubs are your involved with on campus?

I am a Big Sib, part of La Voz Latinx Common Interest, the Social Media Director for Her Campus, and the Class of 2021 SAC Rep.

What has been your most rewarding experience at Conn?

I really love being on the Diversity Recruitment Team for Admissions. We bring prospective students of color to campus once in the fall and once in the spring to show them what coming to Conn could be like. I enjoy meeting new people, planning events, and talking about our school to others.

Are you planning on studying abroad? If so, Congrats! Where do you want to go and why?

Yes! I am going to Amsterdam as a part of the IES Law and Criminology program. Criminology is something I have always been interested in, but our basic criminology classes have not been taught during my time at Conn, so I decided to take my interests abroad!

Next, what about your experiences outside of Conn?

Over the summer, you had an internship at This Week on Martha’s Vineyard. What was that experience like, and what advice would you give about being an intern?

This Week on Martha’s Vineyard taught me a lot about what it is like to write for an online publication. I gained interview skills, writing skills, and got to travel around Martha’s Vineyard. However, at the end of the day, that internship was not the best fit for me personally. My advice for finding a great internship is to start looking early, do your research about the company, and find something that you are passionate about so that you are able to enjoy your summer as well. 

You are also a Keyholder at Lilly Pulitzer. That sounds amazing! What is that like? What is the best part of that job?

I have wanted to work at Lilly Pulitzer since the third grade. Working there now is a dream come true. I have worked in retail for four summers now and I absolutely love it. My coworkers are all incredible and so dedicated to the brand. Getting to know our local customers, meeting tourists that are just stopping through, and learning the ins and outs of Lilly Pulitzer is an experience I am so grateful for. The best part of the job is wearing my favorite LP dresses to work everyday. If you are ever in Osterville, MA over winter break, come in and chat with me! 

What’s your dream job?

I have always said that I want to open a wedding dress shop. I know it is odd that I chose to major in sociology and not business, but it’s a dream of mine. However, I would also love to use my sociology major to work with the Department of Child and Family Services.

What job do you realistically see yourself in after graduation?

Hopefully something that helps others. I am looking at internships with a lot of non-profits. I am also hoping to get my masters in Social Work or something similar to make my DCF dreams come true. At the end of the day, I want to stay with Lilly Pulitzer as long as possible!

If you could take to your past self, what would you say to her?

You are smart enough to go to college. When I was applying to schools, I would cry all the time thinking that I would never get in, or that I could not do the work, that my language based learning disability would hold me back. In reality, I think I was afraid of change in my life. But looking back, I really thought that I didn’t deserve to go to Conn.

Thank you! Now, for the fun part, what is your favorite…

Place to hangout on campus? Off campus?

On campus, I am usually on the La Voz Latinx floor of Windham or in Blue Camel. When I go off campus, I always go to Mystic! I love Old Mystic Village, as well as Sift and Drawbridge @ 24.

Thing about autumn?

My birthday is in November so I love fall. Picking apples and pumpkins, apple cider, the classic New England traditions. What I don’t love about Autumn? How cold it is!

Fictional character?

This is a tough one. I am a big New Girl fan, so I am going to say Nick Miller.

Song?

This changes all the time but right now it is “Memories” by Maroon 5.

Quote?

“Being happy never goes out of style.” -Lilly Pulitzer

Elizabeth, originally from just outside of Chicago, is a senior graduating early from Connecticut College where she is majoring in English with Psychology and History minors. She has an insatiable appetite for a compelling story and hopes to use that passion to pursue a career in publishing in a big city. If she’s not reading or writing another essay, she is binge-watching a new TV series, scrolling through Pinterest, baking cookies, or hanging out with family and friends.
I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Her Campus Conn Coll