Working Out in the Winter: How to Beat the Winter Weight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! We live in New England — generally, we love the snow! But what we don’t love is being stuck inside all day, snuggled up in bed, and eating food.

…Okay, maybe we do love that — but we are not fans of the winter weight we gain. But at the same time the AC is just so far away, especially when it’s cold and snowing! So what are we supposed to do?

Here are some fun and easy workout apps that you can download for free so you can stay active and avoid that dreaded winter weight:

1. 7 Minute Workout “Seven” : 7 minutes for 7 months! This app motivates you with various full body exercises that don’t require any equipment! If you need a quick study break, this app will just take seven minutes out of your entire day. You can set up daily reminders, earn rewards and health-related giveaways, and track your progress! Endorsed by Campus Cutie Leah Puklin: “This app is great for those days where you don’t have enough time to make it down to the AC! I love that you can just do it in your room — unless you have downstairs neighbors who don’t like you jumping up and down”

2. 30-Day Challenge Apps: There are various 30-Day Challenge apps that you can download, such as the Ab Challenge, Squat Challenge, Push-Up Challenge, and Bodyweight Challenge! The apps starts off with low intensity goals and increases slowly every day. You’ll be amazed by how easy the workouts get, and the challenge gives you the motivation that you need! 

3. Sworkit Lite – Personal Trainer: Perfect for those busy days! The Sworkit App is a personal trainer that you can take anywhere! You can get guided workout videos, you can target any area of your body, you can customize your own exercises, or you can pick from the 160 exercises that Sworkit has to offer! 

4. Easy Legs Free: Another great, quick workout you can do in your room! You can tone your legs and your butt in just 5 minutes with 25 unique exercises that are customized for your desired level of intensity! It also keeps you going with audio instructions and a video you can watch during the workout so you know you’re on track!

5. Insanity Workouts: Insanity workouts are not for the weak! They consist of a mix of max interval training but allow you to burn hundreds of calories in about twenty minutes. There are several apps for tracking the different exercises and intervals, and there are also several different insanity programs out there. If you don’t know where to start looking though, check out this good twenty minute program.

It’s hard to find the motivation to go to the gym, especially in the winter. It’s also pretty hard to work out even if you can without leaving your room. But it’s good to remember that everybody should aim for 30 minutes of exercise a day because 1. it’s healthy and 2. it’ll definitely help with the stress (and we all know we need some help with that right about now!) So try out these apps, and find a program that works best for you! Before you know it, you’ll be in killer shape, and that awful winter weight won’t even stand a chance!

Kiersten Anderson is a sophomore at Connecticut College. She is a double major in Psychology and Human Development, and possibly an English minor. She is a VP for Relay for Life, and is involved in Habitat for Humanity, Best Buddies, Cakes for Care, and HerCampus. She works at the CC Children's Program and also for CC Catering. She is a lover of creative writing, chocolate, and ice cream.
Her Campus Conn Coll