This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Given that our country just underwent a historic election, there is a heightened tension in our country, and all around the world. But in these times of polarized politics, it is important to step back from the headlines, and take note of some unsung heroes of our generation—people we can all applaud for. So why not highlight the women? They deserve some praise. 

Elizabeth Holmes

Elizabeth Holmes is the founder and CEO of Theranos, a blood-testing company that produces the same results as an entire vial from a mere prick of blood. It is not surprising that Holmes is the youngest self-made female billionaire in the country, given that she is transforming the healthcare industry with faster, cheaper blood tests.

Nina Tandom

CEO and cofounder of Epibone, Nina Tandom leads the first team in the world to use patient’s stem cells to grow human bones. This medical revolution allows bone defects to be repaired through one’s own stem cells, leading to bone growth at the necessary shape and size.

Sara Seager

Sara Seager, who is an astrophysicist and planetary scientist at MIT, has discovered 715 new planets using the Kepler Space Telescope. Her ultimate goal of finding another Earth has yet to be fulfilled, but she has brought science closer to that goal through studying the atmospheres of these newly discovered planets.  

Shu Lam, 25-year old Ph.D. student at University of Melbourne

Shu Lam, a 25-year old PhD student at the University of Melbourne, has discovered a way to fight drug-resistant superbugs without antibiotics. Thus far, her approach has only been tested on mice. However, if all goes well moving forward, Lam will have found the solution to antibiotic resistance—this is a hot topic in the industry, given that antibiotic resistant bacteria kills 700,000 people (and growing) per year.

For more info on these incredible women, among others, check out the following links!

http://www.businessinsider.com/coolest-women-in-science-2015-7/#ra-seager-has-discovered-more-than-700-new-planets-14

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-science-world-s-freaking-out-over-this-25-year-old-s-solution-to-antibiotic-resistance 

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll