Why Dunkin Donuts Changing Its Name Is Not The End of The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

If you live in the Northeast, there is a strong chance that you’ve been to at least one Dunkin Donuts in your life. Founded in 1950 in Quincy, Massachusetts, Dunkin Donuts has been a staple, a national treasure even, for decades. As of September 25, 2018, Dunkin Donuts is following in the footsteps of Beyonce, Drake, Madonna, Adele and will now be referred to by its first name, Dunkin’.

Personally, I like to refer to Dunkin’ as “Dunks” but I won’t nitpick. So how does everyone else feel about the name change? After scouring the Twitter comments, the feedback on the name change seems to be mostly positive. However, some customers don’t approve of using the verb as a noun and others have simply always refused to dunk their donuts into their coffee.

But the question on everyone’s mind is: what about the donuts?! Luckily, Dunkin’ responded with “Do-nut worry about a thing. Still slinging those ?donuts, as always. And amaaaazing breakfast sandos. Oh, and ??(yeah, you read that right: DONUT. FRIES.)” Need a few more reasons as to why this isn’t the end of the world? Dunkin’ just released their Maple Sugar and Pumpkin Swirl flavored coffees, apple crisp and pumpkin donuts, and the Belgian waffle breakfast sandwich just in time for fall! 

As for the logo, Dunkin’ commented that they will be rolling out new designs starting in January of 2019. As I continue to mourn the loss of my beloved turkey, bacon, and cheddar on ciabatta sandwich (PLEASE bring this sandwich back!), I’ll just have to settle for a donut from the new and improved Dunkin’. 

I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Her Campus Conn Coll