What You Didn’t Know About Shirley Temple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

On February 10th, 2014, the world lost a great actress, activist, and leader in women empowerment. Shirley Temple was an icon in the early 1930’s, a staple of American movies with her bright smile and enthusiastic personality that she brought on the screen. Her adorable charm touched many, both nationally and internationally in a time of great economic and social tensions. Some of her standout movies include Heidi, Bright Eyes, and Curly Top. She delved into television and even had her own show called the Shirley Temple Show.

Besides excelling in acting, dancing, and singing, Temple was an active philanthropist and political figure. She pursued politics after her career as a performer, and became an active member of the Republican Party in California where she ran unsuccessfully for a congressional seat. Later, she was appointed by President Richard Nixon as the United States Ambassador to Ghana and appointed by President Bush as the United States Ambassador to Czechoslovakia. Temple also became the first female Chief of Protocol of the United States in 1976 and took part in the planning of President Jimmy Carter’s inauguration. 

Even with winning many honors, like having star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Temple’s greatest feat was her fight with breast cancer and overcoming it. After beating the illness, Temple used her experience to spread awareness of the disease. Her death was the result of natural causes and she reportedly died among ones who cared for her. 

Hi! I'm Arely and currently a sophomore attending Connecticut College. I've grown up in NJ for most of my life but I've lived in Mexico for two years, I did an exchange program to Finland during one summer, and I've done a little bit of backpacking. I'm not sure what area of study I want to pursue or what do as far as a career, but I am excited to see what the future unfolds.
Her Campus Conn Coll