What Will You Do For Lent?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Practiced by Christian denominations, Wednesday March 5th marks the beginning of Lent. This 40 day period leading up to Easter Sunday is not only celebrated by Christians, but those who are looking to give something up that they don’t necessarily need in order to live a healthier lifestyle. It’s no surprise that many people give up sweets and unhealthy addictions for Lent. Lent is a great time to focus and work on becoming the best possible YOU! Here are 5 of the top things that people give up or do for Lent:

1. Sugary Treats

Whether it’s the Harris baked goods, candy, or soda, any sugary treat or snack is a great thing to give up for Lent and something that many people try to stay away from for this forty day period in order to be healthier.

2. Internet Distractions

In a technological age, having the ability to stay away from social media is extremely challenging, but completely rewarding. With Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram being huge distractions, giving up social media sites will give you so much more time to get your school work done. Also giving up Netflix will free up a lot of your time so that you can get much more accomplished!

3. Addictive Habits

Giving up caffeine, smoking, or alcohol could be great things to give up if you’re already looking to quit any of these habits. Forcing yourself to stay away from these can help you live a healthier lifestyle and help towards your goals of quitting in the long run.

4. Give Back Instead of Give Up

Instead of giving something up, it can feel good to give back to your community. Whether it’s helping in a school, a homeless shelter, working in a soup kitchen, or just making a point to thank those in your life, giving back to your community is a great aspiration for Lent! 

5. Make a Promise to Yourself

Make the promise to yourself to exercise everyday for the next forty days, make the promise to yourself to get good grades, or make the promise to not stress out as much!! Any of these are great ways to live a healthier lifestyle, and if you find them easy to do, they can go on past the forty day mark! 

Good luck with your Lent! 

I am a junior at Conn. I started at Conn in January of 2013 spending the first part of my school year in Costa Rica and Panama. I am the Director of Marketing for SAC and I am a memebr of Her Campus Conn Coll. 
Her Campus Conn Coll