This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Last week, we talked about ‘good vs. bad’ art around the Connecticut College campus. This week, we’re getting creative and imagining a particular installation we would like to see as we walk to class every day. Here are some statues that we would like to add to Conn’s strategic plan moving forward:

Allie Ziegler ’27

I think we definitely need a camel statue. How are visitors supposed to know our mascot is a camel if we don’t have a 10 foot statue of Humphrey right in the center of campus? I propose this statue be placed at the entrance of campus (near the Connecticut College sign), in front of Harris, or on the green next to the library. We could even get multiple statues and place one in each of these locations. We could also hide mini camel statues around campus and encourage visitors to find them, like how Disney tells tourists to look for hidden Mickeys. Bring back school spirit! Camel statues everywhere!!

Caroline Snyder ’26

I think a dinosaur statue would slay– maybe a Dilophosaurus because it’s the Connecticut state dinosaur? I am self aware enough to know that I am probably the only person on campus who even remotely wants this, but also it would be sick, and I would stare at it every single day on my daily walks as if it were a siren daring me to come forth and find it. Live love dinosaurs. 

Lara Beckius ’24

Every day, without fail, while I walk back to my apartment, I hopelessly scan the brush for my favorite Connecticut College creatures: skunks and opossums. So, I’m envisioning a very large statue of these commonly seen critters. To honor them, you know? Maybe they’re playing with each other? The artist can take creative liberties. 

Catherine Gwinnett ’24

If I could erect any statue on the campus of Connecticut College, it would be of Sid, the ground sloth from Ice Age. To be completely honest, I have never seen the movies, but I find him to be inspiring, which is just what this campus needs. I envision him as approximately twenty feet tall, standing contrapposto in the same position as Michelangelo’s David. Like Lara, I am also okay with the artist taking creative liberties. Sid is the people’s ground sloth.

Hello! My name is Catherine (she/her) and I am a Classical Languages and Art History major at Connecticut College. I am also completing a Museum Studies Certificate Program here. I work as a curatorial and archival intern at the New London County Historical Society, and I love visiting museums and spending time around good (and bad) art.
Allie Ziegler

Conn Coll '27

Allie (she/her) is a freshman at Connecticut College and plans to double major in Theater and Educational Studies. Outside of HerCampus, she is on the executive board for Wig & Candle and participates in Student Activities Council. In her free time, she loves reading, crocheting, listening to music, and hanging out with friends!
Caroline Snyder is a sophomore at Connecticut College who is double majoring in English and Environmental Studies! She is also on the rowing team, runs events for Conn's Her Campus chapter, is on the education task force in the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, and works in the college's archives, among other things. She loves writing, reading, her cat, dinosaurs, working out, and sustainability.
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.