What, If Not Turkey, Will The Writers of Her Campus Conn Be Having for Thanksgiving?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Our Her Campus writers have some interesting takes on the traditional Thanksgiving meal. Here’s what we’re eating when turkey is not on the menu:

Thanksgiving is definitely not my favorite holiday, and that is mostly because none of the food inspires me anymore, least of all turkey. Everything one can do with turkey has been done before (ex. Stuffing, deep-fried, tofurkey, etc.). When the holiday rolled around this year, my family reminded me that it was all about honoring tradition and being thankful for having all that we need. So, in order to maintain their wishes, I honored tradition by bringing back an elementary school classic that always made me grateful for what I had: a Smucker’s brand Uncrustable™. 

• Catherine Gwinnett ‘24

Thanksgiving is a time when me and my family come together and bond over delicious food. As someone who has family from different countries, we love to bring in some of my dad’s culture, as well as my mum’s. As a vegetarian, I love to have plant-based sausage instead of turkey with an abundance of sides! We have mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato, stuffing, and pumpkin pie as our traditional Thanksgiving foods. However, on my mum’s side of the family, we have Yorkshire puddings, which are a British dish that can either be eaten as a side or a dessert. This delicious pudding can be served with either gravy or golden syrup.

• Eva Rausch ‘27

Even though I’m not fully vegetarian at the moment, the thought of turkey didn’t really appeal to me this Thanksgiving season. However, I definitely indulged in all of the other Thanksgiving fares available to me on this November holiday, including mac and cheese, stuffing, spinach, and desserts like pumpkin pie. I was also craving sushi during the break… lots of sushi. Luckily, a new hibachi sushi bar called Mizu 21 opened near my hometown in Canton, CT, only an hour or so away from Conn! It was delicious, and I would be happy to add this to my Thanksgiving traditions in future years. 

• Lara Beckius ‘24
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Eva Rausch

Conn Coll '27

My name is Eva (she/her) and I am a freshman at Connecticut College! I am interested in majoring in gender, sexuality, and intersectionality studies, classics, anthropology, or english. I am also curious about pursuing the Museum Studies Certificate Program at Conn. I am an avid reader and baker. I also love to crochet and sew!
Hello! My name is Catherine (she/her) and I am a Classical Languages and Art History major at Connecticut College. I am also completing a Museum Studies Certificate Program here. I work as a curatorial and archival intern at the New London County Historical Society, and I love visiting museums and spending time around good (and bad) art.